Divisibility in the Integers. Intro to Analysis

In summary, the given statement is proven using the assumption that a, b, and c are integers. The proof involves showing that if a divides b and b divides c, then a must also divide c. This is demonstrated by substituting b and c for ar and bs, and showing that c can be rewritten as a multiplied by an integer. This proves the statement to be true.
Windowmaker

Homework Statement

Prove: If a|b and b|c then a|c.

Assume a, b and c are integers.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

If a divides b then that means that there is a

real integer "r" that is ra=b .

and since we assume b divides c then c=bs.

After here I got stuck. I was thinking maybe subsitute b and c for ar and bs, but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Windowmaker said:

Homework Statement

Prove: If a|b and b|c then a|c.

Assume a, b and c are integers.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

If a divides b then that means that there is a

real integer "r" that is ra=b .

and since we assume b divides c then c=bs.

After here I got stuck. I was thinking maybe substitute b and c for ar and bs, but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Thanks in advance.
You have b in terms of a ? ...

Well I was thinking like we had 3|15. So a would be 3 and b would be 15. The r would be 5, so ra=b= 5*3=15. Or am I thinking about this wrong?

If a|b, then there exists an int r such that a*r = b.

If b|c, then there exists an int s such that s*b = c.

Since b = a*r, we have s*(a*r)=a*(r*s) = c.

Since r*s is an integer, this shows that c equals a multiplied by an integer, meaning a|c.

Windowmaker said:
Well I was thinking like we had 3|15. So a would be 3 and b would be 15. The r would be 5, so ra=b= 5*3=15. Or am I thinking about this wrong?
If this is a concrete example, you'll need another number.

You have 3|15, that's like a|b. Now you need b|c, so in the example, 15| ? .

Oh my goodness...First class on proofs its just simple subistution. Thanks man, cleared up alot!

Windowmaker said:
Oh my goodness...First class on proofs its just simple substitution. Thanks man, cleared up alot!
Well, I saw that you were almost there in your original post. I'd rather lead you to discover what's missing than to simply provide the bridge.

Good luck with the proofs. It can be challenging, coming up with some of them, but very rewarding once you do !

What sucks about this course is there's only like 10 problems per section. He collects all 10 or so problems, so there's no extra problems to work out. Its not overly difficult, its just a bit different than the math I am used too. Computational math is much different than proof based math. Lol.

1. What are the basic rules for divisibility in integers?

The basic rules for divisibility in integers are:

• If a number is divisible by 2, it is an even number.
  • If the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 3, it is also divisible by 3.
  • If the last two digits of a number are divisible by 4, it is also divisible by 4.
  • If a number is divisible by both 2 and 3, it is also divisible by 6.
  • If the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 9, it is also divisible by 9.

2. What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

A prime number is a number that can only be divided by 1 and itself, while a composite number has at least one other factor besides 1 and itself. For example, 7 is a prime number because it can only be divided by 1 and 7, while 8 is a composite number because it can be divided by 1, 2, 4, and 8.

3. How can I determine if a number is divisible by another number?

A number is divisible by another number if the remainder is 0 when the first number is divided by the second number. For example, 15 is divisible by 3 because 15 ÷ 3 has a remainder of 0.

4. Can a number be divisible by more than one number?

Yes, a number can be divisible by more than one number. For example, 12 is divisible by both 2 and 3.

5. What is the relationship between divisibility and prime factorization?

Divisibility and prime factorization are closely related. Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors, which are the prime numbers that can divide the original number evenly. The prime factors of a number can be used to determine if the number is divisible by another number. For example, if a number has 2 and 3 as its prime factors, it is divisible by both 2 and 3.