Substitution Method on indefinite integral

In summary: I was just confused with the notation.In summary, to solve the indefinite integral of ∫x√(2x+1) dx, the substitution rule is applied backwards by letting f(x) = x√(2x+1), x = (y-1)/2, and using x'(y) = 1/2. This results in ∫x√(2x+1) dx = ∫[(u-1)/2] * (1/2)√u du.
Chsoviz0716
Say we are solving an indefinite integral ∫x√(2x+1) dx.

According to the textbook, the solution goes like this.

Let u = 2x+1. Then x = (u-1)/2.

Since √(2x+1) dx = (1/2)√u du,
x√(2x+1) dx = [(u-1)/2] * (1/2)√u du.

∫x√(2x+1) dx = ∫[(u-1)/2] * (1/2)√u du. <= What justifies this??
The rest is just trivial calculation.

The only theorem I could rely on here to solve this problem was,

-------------------------------------------------------------------
If u=g(x) is a differentiable function whose range is an interval I, and f is continuous no I, then
∫f(g(x))g'(x) dx = ∫f(u) du.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is so called the substitution rule.

How can this theorem justify the process of the solution I wrote above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Chsoviz0716 and welcome to the forums.

The justification for this is just the substitution rule for integration.

If we had to derive everything like this all the time we wouldn't get anything done in reality. It is ok to just say 'substitution rule' and then say what substitution you used (like you already did).

The difference between these kinds of rules for definite and indefinite integrals is that with the definite integral you need to also transform the limits whereas the indefinite one you don't.

Also make sure to put your constant of integration for indefinite (pain in the arse but yeah has to be done). Remember that you can always find your constant C by using your initial condition at x = 0 for a normal (x,y) function.

chiro said:
Hey Chsoviz0716 and welcome to the forums.

The justification for this is just the substitution rule for integration.

Thank you for the reply.

But what I'm trying to say is that the kind I mentioned above isn't the type that has the form of ∫f(g(x))*g'(x) dx, to which we can apply substitution rule directly.

And the solution kind of distorted the theorem and solved it in a weird way.

If ∫2(2x+4)^5 dx becomes ∫u^5 du, I accept that because the theorem explicitly approves of it.

However, the one I wrote above is different.
To be specific, how is ∫x√(2x+1) dx = ∫[(u-1)/2] * (1/2)√u du the consequence of the substitution theorem? What's f, g, g' here?

You use the substitution rule backwards: right hand side to left hand side. We want to evaluate
[itex]\int x \sqrt{2x + 1} dx.[/itex]
We let [itex]f(x) = x \sqrt{2x+1}[/itex]
We let [itex]x = (y-1)/2[/itex]
So then [itex]x'(y) = 1/2[/itex]
So
[itex]\int f(x) dx = \int f(x(y)) x'(y) dy[/itex]
[itex]\int x \sqrt{2x+1} dx = \int \frac{y-1}{2}\, \sqrt{y} \, \frac{1}{2} \, dy[/itex]

pwsnafu said:
You use the substitution rule backwards: right hand side to left hand side. We want to evaluate
[itex]\int x \sqrt{2x + 1} dx.[/itex]
We let [itex]f(x) = x \sqrt{2x+1}[/itex]
We let [itex]x = (y-1)/2[/itex]
So then [itex]x'(y) = 1/2[/itex]
So
[itex]\int f(x) dx = \int f(x(y)) x'(y) dy[/itex]
[itex]\int x \sqrt{2x+1} dx = \int \frac{y-1}{2}\, \sqrt{y} \, \frac{1}{2} \, dy[/itex]

Thank you,

It missed such an easy point.

What is the substitution method for evaluating indefinite integrals?

The substitution method is a technique used in calculus to evaluate indefinite integrals by replacing variables in the integrand with a new variable, which is then integrated in terms of the new variable. This method is especially useful for integrals that involve complicated functions or expressions.

When should I use the substitution method for evaluating integrals?

The substitution method is most effective when the integrand contains a function that is difficult to integrate, such as trigonometric or exponential functions. It can also be used when the integrand contains a variable raised to a power, such as x2 or x3.

How do I choose a suitable substitution for evaluating an integral?

When choosing a substitution, look for a function that can be easily integrated and that also appears in the integrand. This function should also have a derivative that is present in the integrand. Some common substitutions include u = g(x), u = f(x), and u = f '(x).

Can the substitution method be used for definite integrals?

Yes, the substitution method can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. However, when using it for definite integrals, the limits of integration must also be substituted in terms of the new variable.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the substitution method?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the limits of integration when evaluating a definite integral. Another mistake is not choosing a suitable substitution, which can lead to a more complicated integral. It is also important to check the final answer by differentiating it to ensure that it matches the original integrand.