Integration of functions of Complex Variables

In summary, we can show that the integral of e^(-kx) from 0 to infinity is equal to 1/k for real k>0. This result also holds for complex numbers with real part greater than 0. By extending k to a+ib, we can see that the integral will give 1/(a+ib), which is equivalent to 1/k. This is supported by the fact that e^(-kx) can be integrated from 0 to infinity for any complex number with real part greater than 0. There may be some confusion with the notation i*infinity, but this can be resolved by considering the Riemann sphere.
Charles49
We can show that
[tex]
\int_{0}^\infty e^{-kx}dx=\frac{1}{k}
[/tex]
for real $$k>0.$$

Does this result hold for $$\Re k>0$$ belonging to complex numbers? The reason I have this question is because $$i\times\infty$$ is not $$\infty$$ and so u substitution would not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's try this. We'll extend k to a+ib, and see what happens to our integral:

[tex]e^{-(a+ib)x} = e^{-a x} e^{-i b x} = e^{-a x} cos(b x) - i e^{-a x} sin(b x)[/tex]

Integrating this, we get the following two integrals:

[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-a x} cos(b x) dx = \frac{a}{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-a x} sin(b x) dx = \frac{b}{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]

Summing these two, we get [itex]\frac{a - i b}{a^2 + b^2}[/itex], or 1/(a + i b). Note that to get this, we DID assume that Re(k)>0, and we got as our answer 1/k. So we can say that e^(-k x), integrated from 0 to infinity, will give 1/k, where k is any complex number with real part greater than zero.

In other words, yes, that's correct.

Thanks for responding

I talked to my professor and he said that if you look at the Riemann sphere, you could just assume that i*infinity is equal to infinity. The reason I got confused was because there is a similar notation which appears in the formula for the inverse Laplace transform.

What is the definition of a complex variable?

A complex variable is a variable that takes on values in the complex number system, which is a combination of real numbers and imaginary numbers.

What is the difference between a real function and a complex function?

A real function takes in real numbers as inputs and outputs real numbers. A complex function, on the other hand, takes in complex numbers as inputs and outputs complex numbers.

What is the purpose of integrating functions of complex variables?

The integration of functions of complex variables is used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is also used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex variables are involved.

What is the Cauchy-Riemann condition for a complex function to be analytic?

The Cauchy-Riemann condition states that for a complex function to be analytic, it must satisfy two partial differential equations which relate the real and imaginary parts of the function. These equations ensure that the function is differentiable at every point in its domain.

What are some common techniques for integrating functions of complex variables?

Some common techniques for integrating functions of complex variables include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem and formula, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve using the properties of complex numbers, such as the Cauchy-Riemann condition and Cauchy's integral formula, to solve complex integrals.