What is the meaning of gradient WRT a fixed point?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of \nabla_{1} as the gradient of the function (potential energy) with respect to the position (x_{1},y_{1},z_{1}) of particle 1. The individual is familiar with partial derivatives and gradients with respect to general x,y,and z, but not with respect to a fixed point. The professor clarifies that it is not a gradient with respect to a fixed point, but rather a function of both the position of particle 1 and particle 2. When calculating the gradient with respect to particle 1, the individual should treat the position of particle 2 as constants.
teroenza
My textbook (Taylor, Classical Mechanics) and professor introduced the concept of [itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]_{1}[/itex]

to mean "the gradient of the function (potential energy) with respect to the position (x[itex]_{1}[/itex],y[itex]_{1}[/itex],z[itex]_{1}[/itex]) of particle 1.

I do not understand this. I am familiar with partial derivatives and gradients with respect to general x,y,and z, but not with respect to a fixed point. I could not find anything from my calculus book to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not gradient with respect to a fixed point. It's just that the potential energy is a function of both the position of particle 1 and the position of particle 2, so you could write V(x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2). When he says gradient with respect to the position of particle 1, he means we should calculate partial derivatives with respect to x1, y1, and z1, not x2, y2, and z2.

Ok so it would be just a regular gradient, but WRT particle 1 means I treat x2,y2,z2 as constants. Thanks

teroenza said:
Ok so it would be just a regular gradient, but WRT particle 1 means I treat x2,y2,z2 as constants. Thanks
Yes, exactly.

1. What is a gradient with respect to a point?

A gradient with respect to a point is a vector that represents the rate of change of a scalar function at that point. It points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function and its magnitude represents the slope of the function in that direction.

2. How is a gradient with respect to a point calculated?

A gradient with respect to a point is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable at that point and arranging them into a vector. The vector's components are the directional derivatives of the function in the corresponding direction.

3. What is the relationship between a gradient with respect to a point and the directional derivative?

A gradient with respect to a point is a special case of the directional derivative, where the direction is perpendicular to the level curves or surfaces of the function. It represents the maximum rate of change of the function at that point, while the directional derivative represents the rate of change in a specific direction.

4. Why is the gradient with respect to a point important?

The gradient with respect to a point is important because it provides valuable information about a function's behavior at a specific point. It can be used to find the direction of steepest ascent or descent, to optimize functions, and to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

5. How is a gradient with respect to a point used in multivariate calculus?

The gradient with respect to a point is a fundamental concept in multivariate calculus. It is used to define the gradient vector field and is an essential tool for finding critical points, determining the behavior of functions, and solving optimization problems with multiple variables.