What is the ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere at different heights?

In summary, the conversation discusses the composition of air at sea level and the top of Mount Everest, and the ratio of oxygen in the air as a function of height. The potential energy of oxygen and nitrogen molecules is considered, and the hydrostatic equation is used to determine the ratio of oxygen to nitrogen density. The resulting ratio is then used to calculate the percentage of oxygen in the air at the top of Mount Everest. However, it is noted that in reality, the makeup of the atmosphere at the top of Mount Everest is still approximately 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen due to the well-mixed nature of the troposphere.
SoggyBottoms

Homework Statement

Air at sealevel is composed of 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen, but at the top of Mount Everest the composition of air is different. Give an expression for the ratio ([itex]f_O[/itex]) of oxygen in the air as a function of height z above sealevel, assuming the temperature T is constant and the air is an ideal gas. The gravitational acceleration is g and the mass of a molecule of nitrogen is [itex]m_N[/itex] and the mass of a molecule of oxygen is [itex]m_O[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The potential energy of a molecule of oxygen is [itex]m_O g z[/itex], so the probability of finding it at height z is: [itex]P_{mO}(z) \propto e^{-\frac{m_O g z}{k_B T}}[/itex]. Similarly for nitrogen: [itex]P_{mN}(z) \propto e^{-\frac{m_N g z}{k_B T}}[/itex]. So the ratio is simply [itex]f_O = \frac{e^{-\frac{m_O g z}{k_B T}}}{e^{-\frac{m_N g z}{k_B T}}} = e^{-\frac{(m_O - m_N)gz}{k_B T}}?[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
SoggyBottoms said:
Air at sealevel is composed of 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen, but at the top of Mount Everest the composition of air is different.
No, it isn't. The troposphere is well mixed. That's why it's called the troposphere. Is this a problem from a physics text, or one that your teacher made up?

I'll ignore this minor problem.

The potential energy of a molecule of oxygen is [itex]m_O g z[/itex], so the probability of finding it at height z is: [itex]P_{mO}(z) \propto e^{-\frac{m_O g z}{k_B T}}[/itex]. Similarly for nitrogen: [itex]P_{mN}(z) \propto e^{-\frac{m_N g z}{k_B T}}[/itex]. So the ratio is simply [itex]f_O = \frac{e^{-\frac{m_O g z}{k_B T}}}{e^{-\frac{m_N g z}{k_B T}}} = e^{-\frac{(m_O - m_N)gz}{k_B T}}?[/itex]
That gives a ratio of one at sea level.

Hint: Assume each gas is individually in hydrostatic equilibrium.

Just a question my teacher came up with.

The hydrostatic equation is [itex]dp = -\rho g dz[/itex] with [itex]dp = k_B T dn[/itex] and [itex]\rho = nm[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{dn}{n} = -\frac{m_O g}{k_B T}dz, \Leftrightarrow \\
\ln{\frac{n}{n_0}} = -\frac{m_O g }{k_B T}z \Leftrightarrow \\
n = n(0) e^{-\frac{m_O g }{k_B T}z} [/tex]

If I do the same thing for nitrogen and divide again I get the same answer, so I'm not sure what to do...

Anyone?

SoggyBottoms said:
Just a question my teacher came up with.

The hydrostatic equation is [itex]dp = -\rho g dz[/itex] with [itex]dp = k_B T dn[/itex] and [itex]\rho = nm[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{dn}{n} = -\frac{m_O g}{k_B T}dz, \Leftrightarrow \\
\ln{\frac{n}{n_0}} = -\frac{m_O g }{k_B T}z \Leftrightarrow \\
n = n(0) e^{-\frac{m_O g }{k_B T}z} [/tex]
Correct.

If I do the same thing for nitrogen and divide again I get the same answer, so I'm not sure what to do...
You do not get the same answer. Oxygen and nitrogen have different molar masses.

Try computing nO(z)/ nN(z), the ratio of the oxygen density to nitrogen density. What does that tell you?

Since [itex]n_n = n(0) e^{-\frac{m_N g }{k_B T}z}[/itex] I get [itex]\frac{n_O}{n_N} = \frac{n_0 e^{-\frac{m_O g }{k_B T}z}}{n_0 e^{-\frac{m_N g }{k_B T}z}} = e^{-\frac{(m_O - m_N) g }{k_B T}z}[/itex]...or am I missing something? Because that's the same thing I got in my original post.

You are assuming that oxygen and nitrogen have the same density at sea level (i.e., the same n0. They obviously don't since the the atmosphere at sea level is 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen.

You're right, so I should get [itex]\frac{0.8}{0.2}e^{-\frac{(m_O - m_N)g}{k_B T}z} = 4 e^{-\frac{(m_O - m_N)g}{k_B T}z}[/itex].

Correct. So now it's just a matter of plugging in the numbers with z=height of Everest and then converting the resulting nitrogen:eek:xygen ratio to the percentage of the air at the top of Everest that is oxygen.

The result will be wrong (wrong in reality that is; the result will be correct for this homework problem). The makeup is still more or less 80%/20% ratio at the top of Everest. The troposphere is just too well-mixed for any disparities to show up. The upper reaches of the atmosphere (above the stratosphere) do exhibit this differentiation.

1. What is the current ratio of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere?

The current ratio of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere is approximately 21%. This means that for every 100 molecules in the atmosphere, 21 of them are oxygen.

2. Has the ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere changed over time?

Yes, the ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere has changed over time. Around 2.4 billion years ago, it is estimated that oxygen levels were only around 0.02%. Today, oxygen levels are much higher due to the process of photosynthesis by plants and other organisms.

3. What are the effects of a decrease in the ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere?

A decrease in the ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere can have negative effects on living organisms. It can lead to difficulty breathing, decreased energy levels, and even death in extreme cases. It can also impact the health of plants and animals, and disrupt ecosystems.

4. How is the ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere measured?

The ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere is measured using various methods, including atmospheric sampling and satellite measurements. Scientists also use ice core samples to analyze air bubbles trapped in ancient ice, providing information about oxygen levels in the past.

5. Is the ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere consistent around the world?

No, the ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere can vary slightly depending on location and altitude. For example, oxygen levels are lower at higher altitudes due to thinner air. However, these variations are relatively small and do not significantly impact the overall ratio of oxygen in the atmosphere.