Optimizing Level of Output for Profit-Maximizing Firm

In summary, the firm in question has the total-cost function C = aQ^3 - bQ^2 + cQ + d and the demand function Q = e - P. In order to find the optimizing level of output Q, the marginal cost function was analyzed, leading to the conclusion that a > 0, b > 0, c > 0, d > 0, and b^2 < 3ac. However, when attempting to solve for the profit-maximizing level of output Q, there were two solutions found but the process became too complex to find a simplified answer. It is suggested that the equation b^2 - 2b + 1 + 3ae - 3ac =
jasper10
A firm has the following total-cost and demand functions:

C = aQ^3 - bQ^2 + cQ + d
Q = e - P

(d) Find optimizing level of Q.
(e) Chooses a,b,c,d and e such that there is only one profit-maximizing level of output Q.

I found 2 solutions for question d, but in a very long and messy form (full of the variables a-e. I do not know how to simplify my answer). Thus, I am not able to do question e). However, by analysing the marginal cost function, I found that a>0, b>0, c>0, d>0 and b^2 < 3ac.

C = aQ^3 - bQ^2 + cQ + d

MC = dC/dQ = 3aQ^2 - 2bQ + c

The coefficient of Q^2 must be positive, in order for the cost function to be U-shaped (MC must be U-shaped to make economic sense). Thus, a>0.

MC' = dMC/dQ^2 = 6aQ - 2b = 0
Hence, Q = b/3a

As Q must be positive, and a is positive, b must necessarily be positive: b>0

MCmin = 3a(b/3a)^2 - 2b(b/3a) + c
= b^2/3a - 2b^2/3a + c
= -b^2/3a + c
=(-b^2 + 3ac)/3a

thus, b^2 < 3ac and c > 0

d > 0 in order to make economic sense (it is a fixed cost).

I also found the profit function

= eQ - Q^2 - aQ^3 + bQ^2 - cQ - d

and its derivative

= e - 2Q - 3aQ^2 + 2bQ - c = 0

and solved for q

q = (-2b-2 +/- root(4b^2 - 8b + 4 + 12ae - 12ac)) / -6a

Unfortunately, from here on, I'm stuck.

Any advice?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jasper10 said:
I also found the profit function

= eQ - Q^2 - aQ^3 + bQ^2 - cQ - d

and its derivative

= e - 2Q - 3aQ^2 + 2bQ - c = 0

and solved for q

q = (-2b-2 +/- root(4b^2 - 8b + 4 + 12ae - 12ac)) / -6a

Unfortunately, from here on, I'm stuck.

Any advice?
I see one small mistake in your maths. I make it:
Code:
e - 2Q - 3aQ^2 + 2bQ - c = 0

- 3aQ^2 + (2b - 2)Q + (e - c) = 0

Q = (2-2b) ± √{(2b-2)^2 -4(-3a)(e-c)} ÷ (-6a)

= (2-2b) ± √{4b^2 - 8b + 4 + 12ae - 12ac} ÷ (-6a)

= (1-b) ± √{b^2 - 2b + 1 + 3ae - 3ac} ÷ (-3a)
I can't help further, unless you are required to make Q have only one value. In which case you'd set the term under the square root to equal 0. (I know nothing about economics; I'm just guessing. So you'd need to solve b^2 - 2b + 1 + 3ae - 3ac = 0, if this were so.)

1. What is Multivariate Calculus?

Multivariate Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of several variables. It involves the application of differential and integral calculus to functions with more than one independent variable.

2. What are some real-world applications of Multivariate Calculus?

Multivariate Calculus is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems that involve multiple variables, such as motion of objects, optimization problems, and statistical analysis of data.

3. What are the key concepts in Multivariate Calculus?

The key concepts in Multivariate Calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and optimization. These concepts are used to study the behavior of functions with multiple variables and to solve problems involving multiple variables.

4. What is the difference between Multivariate Calculus and Single Variable Calculus?

The main difference between Multivariate Calculus and Single Variable Calculus is the number of variables involved. Single Variable Calculus deals with functions of one variable, while Multivariate Calculus deals with functions of more than one variable. This makes Multivariate Calculus more complex and requires the use of additional tools and techniques.

5. How can I excel in Multivariate Calculus?

To excel in Multivariate Calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in Single Variable Calculus and linear algebra. Practice is key, so make sure to solve a variety of problems and understand the underlying concepts. It is also helpful to visualize concepts using graphs and diagrams, and to seek help from professors or tutors if needed.