Advice on what to major in college?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a major in engineering, specifically in the fields of math and physics. They are considering both mechanical engineering and engineering mechanics, and are seeking clarification on the main differences between the two. They also mention their concerns about job opportunities and their preference for working in the industry rather than research. They are looking for more information on the specific types of mechanics involved in each field.
Ishida52134
So I'll be going to college soon and I have yet to choose a major. I have always been interested in math and physics, so I have been thinking about engineering. In addition, I like classical mechanics a lot.
I originally thought I would settle with a mechanical engineering major, but I also found that there was an engineering mechanic major that focused on mechanics.

So, can someone please explain the main differences between mechanical engineering and engineering mechanics? And engineering physics too?

The main problems I have with engineering mechanics is that only a few colleges have the degree which means that it might not be as easy to get a job out there. And although I am interested in research, I feel that I would enjoy working in the industry more.
And exactly what types of mechanics differs mechanical engineering and engineering mechanics?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas?

1. What major will make me the most money after college?

This is a common question, but unfortunately there is no one answer. The highest paying majors can vary depending on the job market and location. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths, as well as considering potential job opportunities and salary expectations.

2. Should I choose a major based on job availability?

While it's important to consider the job market and potential job availability when choosing a major, it's not the only factor to consider. It's also important to choose a major that you are passionate about and will enjoy studying. This will not only make your college experience more enjoyable, but can also lead to a more fulfilling career in the long run.

3. What major will give me the most diverse job options?

There is no one major that will guarantee diverse job options. However, majors that are more broad and interdisciplinary, such as business, communication, or psychology, can provide a variety of career paths. It's also important to gain practical skills and experiences through internships, volunteer work, and extracurricular activities to increase your job options.

4. Is it better to choose a major based on my interests or potential salary?

This is a personal decision and ultimately depends on your priorities. It's important to find a balance between your interests and potential job opportunities and salary. Consider exploring your interests through electives or minors while also researching potential career paths and salary expectations in your field of interest.

5. Should I choose a major that is in demand or one that I am passionate about?

Again, this is a personal decision and both factors should be considered. While a major in high demand may lead to more job opportunities, choosing a major that you are passionate about can lead to a more fulfilling and rewarding career. It's important to find a balance between your interests and the job market.