Inverse function of a quadratic and a cubic function?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions, 24 and 25, related to quadratic and cubic functions. The first question involves finding the inverse function of a quadratic function and dealing with a negative number under a square root. The second question involves finding the points for graphing the inverse function of a cubic function. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding what a function is and the vertical line test.
supernova1203

Homework Statement

jruv4i.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for 24. which is a quadratic function, i understand that you have to exchange the positions of x and y and solve from there...but my question is the inverse function of that quadratic for 24 is a negative number under a square root...iv tried google etc... apparently I am dealing with imaginary or complex numbers or something... my calculator keeps giving me an error whenever i try to come up with points for the table of values using the inverse function

the inverse function btw is y=±√x-3

how do i get around this? the book clearly shows that you can graph this inverse function but i can't get the y values because the negative number in square root

for 25. the inverse function is y=3√x

using the x values in table of values of -3, -2, -1, 0 ,1 ,2 ,3

can someone please do a few sample calculations and show me how to get the answer? or how they got the solutions for a few of those points? I am completely lost for question 25.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
supernova1203 said:

Homework Statement

jruv4i.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for 24. which is a quadratic function, i understand that you have to exchange the positions of x and y and solve from there...but my question is the inverse function of that quadratic for 24 is a negative number under a square root...iv tried google etc... apparently I am dealing with imaginary or complex numbers or something... my calculator keeps giving me an error whenever i try to come up with points for the table of values using the inverse function

the inverse function btw is y=±√x-3

how do i get around this? the book clearly shows that you can graph this inverse function but i can't get the y values because the negative number in square root

for 25. the inverse function is y=3√x

using the x values in table of values of -3, -2, -1, 0 ,1 ,2 ,3

can someone please do a few sample calculations and show me how to get the answer? or how they got the solutions for a few of those points? I am completely lost for question 25.

thanks

In 24, you are missing the point completely. Go back to basics: do you know what a function is (an exact definition, please, not some hand-waving statement). Do you know what would be meant by an inverse function (if it existed)? Can you see the trouble in example 24? Hint: it has nothing to do with the fact that for some values of y the equation y = 3 + x^2 has no real solutions; obviously, 3 + x^3 ≥ 3 always, so if we pick a value of y that is < 3 there will be no solution. Again, I emphasize: that is NOT the issue. Go back and answer---very carefully--- the questions I have asked you.

RGV

ok i was able to solve 24 on my own..still no news on 25 though

Your book should have some discussion about how to determine whether a graph represents a function or not. For example, the graph of y2 = x (or equivalently, y = ±√x) does not represent a function.

yeah, its simple the vertical line test, what i am trying to figure out is how to get the points so i can graph the inverse function for question 25. The book says the inverse function is y=3√x

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" the action of another function. In other words, if a function f(x) takes an input x and produces an output y, then the inverse function f^-1(y) takes an input y and produces the original input x.

2. How do you find the inverse of a quadratic function?

To find the inverse of a quadratic function, first write the function in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c. Then, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. The resulting equation will be the inverse function of the original quadratic function.

3. Can a quadratic function have more than one inverse?

No, a quadratic function can only have one inverse function. This is because for a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, meaning that every horizontal line intersects the function only once.

4. How do you determine the domain and range of an inverse function?

The domain of an inverse function is the range of the original function, and the range of an inverse function is the domain of the original function. In other words, the inputs and outputs of the original function become the outputs and inputs of the inverse function, respectively.

5. How do you find the inverse of a cubic function?

To find the inverse of a cubic function, first write the function in the form y = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d. Then, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. The resulting equation will be the inverse function of the original cubic function.