D'Alembert solution of wave equation with initial velocity given

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with understanding the six regions for integration in the context of the wave equation with initial velocity given. The regions are determined by the influence of three initial states on the position-time space. However, two of the combinations are not possible, leaving six possible combinations. The conversation also touches on the analogy to the light cone in relativity and the activity on the forum.
OneMoreName
Hi there,

This is a problem concerning hyperbolic type partial differential equations. Currently I am studying the book of S. J. Farlow "Partial differential equations for scientists and engineers". The attached pages show my problems. Fig. 18.4 from case two (which starts in the lower part of page 139). It shows several regions for integration concerning the problem of the wave equation with initial velocity given (1 in the interval of [-1,1]). I really have problems understanding how one obtains these six regions. If it's for the integration I would have assumed three regions and not six. Somebody knows why I am wrong?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Likes bosque
Physics news on Phys.org
"Region" here means within the position-time space, not just position.
Initially, there are only three states on the position axis. Over time, these influence different parts of the position-time space. The rate at which influence spreads depends on the speed of the wave. For each point of the position-time space, you can ask which segments of the position line at time zero can have influenced it. Based on a yes/no answer for each, that gives 8 combinations, but two of those are not possible: none; and the two sides but not the centre. That leaves 6 possible combinations.

OK, if it's analogous to the the light cone in relativity I have two origins here at 1,-1. Everything that lies in the cones is affected in spacetime. This explains the 5 upper regions, but why is region 6 considered to be affected (its integral is not zero). I would have thought the integral shoud be zero because this region is not influenced by the initial conditions at all?

I will have a look through other posts. Not much activity here.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your question. I understand your confusion and I would be happy to provide some clarification on the D'Alembert solution of the wave equation with initial velocity given.

The D'Alembert solution is a method for solving the wave equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves. This solution involves breaking the problem into two parts – the homogeneous solution and the particular solution. The homogeneous solution is the solution to the wave equation without any initial conditions, while the particular solution takes into account the given initial velocity.

In the attached pages from Farlow's book, Fig. 18.4 shows the regions for integration for the particular solution. These regions are determined by the initial velocity given in the problem. Since the initial velocity is given in the interval of [-1,1], the integration must be done in six regions – three for positive values of the initial velocity and three for negative values. This is because the particular solution involves both positive and negative values of the initial velocity.

I hope this helps to clarify the six regions for integration in the D'Alembert solution. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your studies!

Sincerely,

1. What is the D'Alembert solution of the wave equation with initial velocity given?

The D'Alembert solution of the wave equation with initial velocity given is a mathematical formula that describes the propagation of a wave in a medium. It takes into account the initial velocity of the wave and the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity.

2. How is the D'Alembert solution derived?

The D'Alembert solution is derived by solving the wave equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes how waves behave in a given medium. This solution is based on the principle of superposition, which states that the total wave at any point is the sum of the individual waves at that point.

3. What are the assumptions made in the D'Alembert solution?

The D'Alembert solution assumes that the medium is homogeneous, isotropic, and linear. This means that the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity, are uniform throughout and do not change with time or position. It also assumes that the wave is small enough to be considered a linear disturbance, meaning that it does not cause significant changes in the medium.

4. How does the initial velocity affect the D'Alembert solution?

The initial velocity is a crucial parameter in the D'Alembert solution, as it determines the shape and speed of the wave. A higher initial velocity will result in a faster and steeper wave, while a lower initial velocity will result in a slower and flatter wave. The direction of the initial velocity also affects the direction of the wave propagation.

5. Can the D'Alembert solution be applied to all types of waves?

The D'Alembert solution is applicable to all types of waves, including electromagnetic, sound, and water waves. However, it is only valid for waves in one dimension, meaning that it can only describe waves that propagate in a straight line. For more complex wave phenomena, such as diffraction and interference, more advanced mathematical techniques are required.