Removing a Singularity for a Second Order ODE

In summary: Thanks, that does help a bit.In summary, the boundary conditions for the Bessel function are that y'(0)=0 and y(1)=0. If you can find ai such that Ʃairi2=k2Ʃ ai, then y satisfies the original equation.
DrChops
I was given the following equation to solve:

x^2*y'' + x*y' + k^2*x^2*y = 0
B.C. y'(0)=0, y(1)=0

where k is just some constant.

I am having a hard time removing the singularity created by the boundary condition at y' and not aware of a method how. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For x nonzero, you can obviously simplify the equation. When x is zero, there simply is no information from the DE. So any solution of the simplified equation is a valid solution for the original.
Please show your working so far.

Not sure what you mean by removing the singularity. You have a regular singular point at ##x=0##. Have you looked for a solution of the form$$
y=\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^{n+r}\hbox{?}$$

Hi !

it is a Bessel ODE:
y = c1*J0(k*x) +c2*Y0(k*x)
The condition y'(0)=0 implies c2=0, hence y(x) = c1*J0(k*x)
J(k)=0 only in case of some particular values of k.
So, generally, the condition y(1)=0 implies c1=0, hence y(x)=0 in general.
But, y(x)=c1*J0(k*x) in case of some particular values of k.

Thanks for all the help so far.
I'm just trying to express the Bessel function in a way that satisfies the boundary conditions. So far I have written it out to:
1- 1/4*k^2*x^2 + (.25*k^2*x^2)^2/4 - (1/4*k^2*x^2)^3/
36 + (.25*x^2*k^2)^4/24^2

Using equation 78 off this link http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BesselFunctionoftheFirstKind.html
My problem is that I can't get it to meet the boundary conditions. If I could take out the 1 and set "k" equal to about 5.3, it fits... but I think that's cheating.

Does this help:
Let ri be the ith +ve root of J1(x). So it also satisfies J0'(x) = 0.
Consider Y(x) = Ʃ aiJ0(rix)
This satisfies Y'(1) = 0.
If we can find ai s.t. Ʃairi2 = k2Ʃ ai then I believe Y satisfies the original equation, and Y'(0) = Ʃ airiJ0'(0) = 0

1. What is a singularity in a second order ODE?

A singularity in a second order ODE is a point at which the solution to the differential equation becomes undefined or infinite. This can happen when the coefficient of the highest derivative term becomes zero, resulting in a division by zero.

2. Why is it important to remove a singularity?

Removing a singularity is important because it allows us to find a valid solution to the differential equation. If a singularity is present, the solution becomes undefined and we cannot accurately predict the behavior of the system.

3. How can a singularity be removed from a second order ODE?

A singularity can be removed from a second order ODE by applying a mathematical technique called singularity removal. This involves replacing the singular point with a point that does not cause the solution to become undefined or infinite, while still preserving the general behavior of the system.

4. What are some common methods for removing a singularity in a second order ODE?

Some common methods for removing a singularity in a second order ODE include change of variables, separation of variables, and using a series solution. These methods involve manipulating the original equation to eliminate the singularity and obtain a valid solution.

5. Are there any limitations to removing a singularity in a second order ODE?

Yes, there are some limitations to removing a singularity in a second order ODE. Some differential equations may have essential singularities, which cannot be removed through mathematical techniques. In these cases, alternative methods must be used to find a solution or approximate the behavior of the system.