Is the set of prime pairs (p, p+2) finite?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the set of prime pairs (p, p+2) is finite or infinite and the difficulty in finding a proof for it. The conversation also includes recommendations for sources to look at, including a Wikipedia page on prime pairs and a suggestion to search for "twin primes." One person also mentions getting some amusing results when searching for "twin prunes" instead.
Michael27
Hi all,

I have been asked the question by a friend of mine who was working on a computer algorithm where he needed pairs of primes to uniquely identify items in a set.
What I would like to know is there a way to proof that the set of prime pairs (p, p+2) is finite or infinite. I have been looking around for some proof but have yet to locate it. Mostly because I am out of my depth to find meaningful terms to search for.

Any help will be appreciated,
Michael.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks that was rather embarrassing but I'll be using the wiki more often now.

Michael27 said:
Hi all,

I have been asked the question by a friend of mine who was working on a computer algorithm where he needed pairs of primes to uniquely identify items in a set.
What I would like to know is there a way to proof that the set of prime pairs (p, p+2) is finite or infinite. I have been looking around for some proof but have yet to locate it. Mostly because I am out of my depth to find meaningful terms to search for.

Any help will be appreciated,
Michael.
goggle "twin primes" but also goggle "twin prunes" because a lot of the ocr stuff is mistakenly translated that way.

Oh, that's funny!

Unfortunately, I also got a couple of links to "old men's testicles"!

1. What do you mean by "prime pairs"?

Prime pairs refer to a set of two prime numbers that are consecutive, meaning there are no other prime numbers between them. For example, (3,5) and (11,13) are both prime pairs.

2. How do you determine if a pair of numbers is prime?

A number is considered prime if it is only divisible by 1 and itself. To determine if a pair of numbers is prime, you would need to check if each number in the pair meets this criteria. This can be done using various mathematical algorithms and formulas.

3. Is there a limit to the size of prime numbers in a prime pair?

No, there is no limit to the size of prime numbers in a prime pair. Prime numbers can be infinitely large, so there is no restriction on the size of prime numbers in a pair.

4. Is there a known formula or method for generating prime pairs?

There is no known formula or method for generating prime pairs. Prime numbers are considered to be random and unpredictable, so there is no definitive way to generate them.

5. Is the set of prime pairs (p, p+2) finite or infinite?

This is still an unsolved problem in mathematics. It is currently unknown if the set of prime pairs (p, p+2) is finite or infinite. Many mathematicians believe that it is infinite, but this has not been proven yet.