What is the Definition of Limit in Real-Valued Spaces?

In summary, it seems that in a real-valued setting, the limit and the derivative of a real-valued function is defined only if the domain is an open subset of Euclidean space. This restriction is due to the need for the function to be locally similar to a vector space in order to add and subtract points. If the domain is not open, then the limit and derivative might not be defined at all.
sammycaps
So, it seems that in a real-valued setting, the limit and the derivative of a real-valued function is defined only if the domain is an open subset of Euclidean space. I'm a little confused as to why this is the case, and why we can't just define a limit and derivative on any subset of Euclidean space with a limit point (well I know that limit can be defined on anything with a limit point, but I'm more unsure of the derivative). The way I was explained was that you need to be locally "similar" to a vector space so that we can add and subtract points to obtain the "linear approximation". Is this the right way to think about it?

I know manifolds enter this discussion at some point.

If anyone has a reference that would be helpful as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Limits and derivatives can be defined on more general sets. For example, I think we can easily see how to define differentiability on a closed interval.

The problem is not so much with the definition as with the theorems. A lot of useful theorems of derivatives want you to work in an open set. In sets that are not open, the proof might fail.
The first exmple that comes in mind is the following: if a function [itex]f[/itex] attains a local minimum in [/itex]a[/itex], then [itex]f^\prime(a)=0[/itex]. This is perfectly valid when [itex]f[/itex] is defined on some open set [itex](a-\varepsilon,a+\varepsilon)[/itex]. But it fails for functions like [itex]f:[a,a+1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow x[/itex].

So I guess the definition of derivatives is not really a problem, but it turns out to be a useless concept.

Limits however are usually defined on general sets (with a limit point) and studied on such sets.

micromass said:
Limits and derivatives can be defined on more general sets. For example, I think we can easily see how to define differentiability on a closed interval.

The problem is not so much with the definition as with the theorems. A lot of useful theorems of derivatives want you to work in an open set. In sets that are not open, the proof might fail.
The first exmple that comes in mind is the following: if a function [itex]f[/itex] attains a local minimum in [/itex]a[/itex], then [itex]f^\prime(a)=0[/itex]. This is perfectly valid when [itex]f[/itex] is defined on some open set [itex](a-\varepsilon,a+\varepsilon)[/itex]. But it fails for functions like [itex]f:[a,a+1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow x[/itex].

So I guess the definition of derivatives is not really a problem, but it turns out to be a useless concept.

Limits however are usually defined on general sets (with a limit point) and studied on such sets.

Hm, ok that makes sense.

I still feel though (at least from discussions with people better at math than I am) that the lack of local linearity is an issue in more general subsets of euclidean space.

If your set is open, then every point is an interior point and can be enclosed inside a ε-disc. This ensures that it can be approached by all directions, as needed by the definition.

If you are working with a closed set as your domain, your boundary points are still being approached in all possible directions, since, as far as your function is concerned, there aren't any inputs outside of your domain. Thus, it *can* make sense to call a function differentiable on a closed set. Linearity would also extend to these points.

1. What is the definition of limit in real-valued spaces?

The limit in real-valued spaces refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a specific value. In other words, it is the value that a function or sequence "approaches" but may not necessarily reach.

2. How do you express a limit in real-valued spaces mathematically?

The limit in real-valued spaces is expressed using the notation limx → a f(x), where x represents the input or index, a represents the specific value that x approaches, and f(x) represents the function or sequence.

3. What is the importance of limits in real-valued spaces?

Limits are important in real-valued spaces because they help us understand the behavior of functions and sequences as they approach a specific value. They also allow us to define continuity, derivatives, and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in calculus.

4. How do you determine the limit of a function in real-valued spaces?

To determine the limit of a function in real-valued spaces, you can either use algebraic manipulation or evaluate the function at values approaching the given value. If the function approaches the same value regardless of the approach, then the limit exists and is equal to that value.

5. Can a limit in real-valued spaces be undefined?

Yes, a limit in real-valued spaces can be undefined if the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of the specific value. This is known as a "jump" discontinuity and indicates that the limit does not exist at that point.