Disjoint intervals for Riemann Integral

In summary, Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis discusses how the Riemann integral on an interval [a,b] can be approximated by sums of the form \Sigma\stackrel{i=1}{n}f(ti)m(Ei), where the Ei are disjoint intervals whose union is the whole interval. However, there is a question about whether tags can only come from the open interval (xi, xi+1) or if they can also come from closed intervals to form a disjoint collection whose union is [a,b]. The use of closed intervals may be necessary in certain arguments due to compactness and (a.e) continuity guaranteeing the existence of max and min, which can be used to show a.e continuity implies R
sammycaps
So the beginning of Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis states that the Riemann integral on an interval [itex][a,b][/itex] can be approximated by sums of the form [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]\stackrel{i=1}{n}[/itex]f(ti)m(Ei) where the Ei are disjoint intervals whose union is the whole interval.

At least when I learned it, the Riemann integral was partitioned and tags were taken from with the interval [xi, xi+1] which does not form a disjoint collection of intervals.

Can you allow tags to come only from the open interval (xi, xi+1) for some [itex]i[/itex] and from the closed intervals for others, so that we do in fact get a disjoint collection whose union is [a,b]. (this obviously can't work generally for Darboux sums are the inf and sup might not be contained in the image of the interval).

Physics news on Phys.org
When you use closed intervals, the overlap consists of a finite number of points (zero length intervals) so it doesn't matter. The ti can be anywhere in the interval. Remember the whole point is making the intervals smaller and smaller.

I think you actually need closed intervals in some arguments because compactness and (a.e) continuity guarantee the existence of max and min. I have seen this used to show that a.e continuity implies Riemann integrability.

1. What are disjoint intervals?

Disjoint intervals are intervals that do not overlap or share any common points. In other words, they are separate and distinct from each other.

2. What is the significance of using disjoint intervals in Riemann integration?

Using disjoint intervals in Riemann integration allows for a more accurate calculation of the integral as it breaks down the function into smaller, easier to compute sections.

3. How are disjoint intervals chosen in Riemann integration?

Disjoint intervals are typically chosen by dividing the overall interval of integration into smaller subintervals of equal width. The number of subintervals and their width can be adjusted to achieve the desired level of accuracy in the integral calculation.

4. Can disjoint intervals be used for all types of functions in Riemann integration?

Yes, disjoint intervals can be used for all types of functions in Riemann integration as long as the function is integrable over the given interval.

5. What is the advantage of using disjoint intervals over non-disjoint intervals in Riemann integration?

The advantage of using disjoint intervals is that it simplifies the integration process and allows for a more accurate calculation of the integral. Non-disjoint intervals, on the other hand, can lead to more complicated calculations and may result in a less accurate solution.