How to install program for XP onto Win 7

In summary, it seems that you may have been able to install the Epson printer by following the instructions provided by the manufacturer. However, it seems more difficult to install the HP printer. The reason for this may be due to the new software driver that is not yet resolved.
yungman
I have a Epson PictureMaid and HP 7410 Printer that I want to install onto my new Win 7 Home Premium desktop. I have the old disc for both of them and they both are not compatible. I know there is a way to run compatibility in Win7 and install the programs. I forgot how to do it, can anyone give me the instructions?

thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's not clear from your post: Are you trying to install device drivers for these printers or some other kind of software? AFAIK, XP device drivers are not compatible with Win 7; you have to search around for new drivers. Go to the websites of each printer mfg. and see what they have for these particular printers.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=40942&infoType=Downloads

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=391194&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Both those seem to be offering win7 compatible drivers for your printers,
but it seems less common to offer up the install CD that seems like is often needed.
Perhaps the support folks for each of those would be able to explain how to get this working.

Likes 1 person
Bill Simpson said:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=40942&infoType=Downloads

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=391194&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Both those seem to be offering win7 compatible drivers for your printers,
but it seems less common to offer up the install CD that seems like is often needed.
Perhaps the support folks for each of those would be able to explain how to get this working.

I think I got the Epson working.

For the HP, I have problem with the new software driver that I even have a different thread for that, It has not been resolved, that's the reason I post this to try to run in competitive mode instead.

I am really getting desperate, I paid a lot to buy a Window 7 computer because I have issue with Win 8 on the other computer. I have an older Win 7 Laptop, that is 64 bits and I had no problem installing at least the HP printer. I can even install HP printer onto the new Win 8 laptop for my wife.

thanks

Last edited:
for your question. Installing a program designed for Windows XP onto a Windows 7 operating system can be a bit tricky, but it is possible. Here are the steps you can follow to install your Epson PictureMaid and HP 7410 Printer onto your new Windows 7 Home Premium desktop:

1. First, insert the installation disc for your Epson PictureMaid or HP 7410 Printer into your computer's disc drive.

2. If the installation process does not automatically start, go to your computer's Start menu and click on "Computer." Then, double-click on the disc drive to open it and run the installation process manually.

3. Once the installation process starts, you may receive a message stating that the program is not compatible with your version of Windows. If this happens, click on the option to "Run the program in compatibility mode."

4. You will then be prompted to choose which version of Windows you want to run the program in compatibility mode for. Select "Windows XP" from the list.

5. Follow the rest of the installation instructions as usual. If any further compatibility issues arise during the installation process, simply repeat step 3 and 4 to run the program in compatibility mode again.

6. Once the installation is complete, you should be able to use your Epson PictureMaid and HP 7410 Printer on your Windows 7 Home Premium desktop.

In addition to running the program in compatibility mode, you can also try updating the drivers for your devices. You can usually find the latest drivers on the manufacturer's website. Simply download and install the updated drivers, and then try running the installation process again.

I hope this helps. If you encounter any further issues, I recommend reaching out to the manufacturer's support team for further assistance. Good luck!

1. How do I install a program designed for Windows XP onto Windows 7?

First, you will need to check if the program is compatible with Windows 7. If it is, you can try running the installer in compatibility mode by right-clicking on the installer file, selecting "Properties," and then choosing the "Compatibility" tab. From there, you can select the option to run the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP. If that does not work, you may need to use a virtual machine or dual-boot setup to run the program.

2. Can I run a program designed for XP in compatibility mode permanently?

No, compatibility mode is only a temporary solution and will need to be set each time you want to run the program. It is not recommended to use compatibility mode as a permanent solution, as it may cause other compatibility issues with your computer.

3. What is a virtual machine and how can it help me run XP programs on Windows 7?

A virtual machine is a software program that allows you to run a different operating system within your current operating system. This means you can install and run Windows XP as a virtual machine on your Windows 7 computer, and then install and run the program within the virtual machine.

4. Is there a specific virtual machine software I should use for running XP programs on Windows 7?

There are several virtual machine software programs available, such as VirtualBox, VMware, and Parallels. It is recommended to do some research and choose the one that best fits your needs and computer specifications.

5. Can I dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 7 to run XP programs on my Windows 7 computer?

Yes, you can set up a dual-boot system where you can choose to boot into either Windows XP or Windows 7 when starting up your computer. This will allow you to run the program on the Windows XP side while still using Windows 7 as your main operating system. However, setting up a dual-boot system can be complicated and may require technical knowledge, so it is recommended to seek help from a professional if you are not familiar with the process.