Exciting Future Space Missions: JWST and New Horizons on the Horizon!

In summary, the conversation involved discussing future space missions that the participants are excited about. The JWST was mentioned as a highly anticipated mission with great expectations for the information it will provide. The upcoming mission to Europa was also mentioned as an exciting possibility, despite potential budget constraints. Overall, the conversation highlighted the ongoing excitement and curiosity surrounding space exploration.
Cosmobrain
What are the future space missions that you're excited about? (sorry if this thread exists already).

I can't wait for the JWST to get launched. I want to see what it will discover about the early Universe.

Also, I want to see a picture that will be the first decent one of Pluto. New Horizons is arriving there in July 2015, the same month of my birthday :)

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
JWST is the big dog right now. I have great expectations.

The JWST is certainly going to be a big event. I cannot think of a bigger event, in the information it will provide, since we visited the moon in 1969.

Rosetta, a European mission that will land on a comet and follow it around the sun, will bring some really amazing results.

I am looking forward to the next mission to Europa. Seems like missions there keep getting bumped off the budget. I can't wait until we get an orbiter around there and eventually a lander. will be very exciting to see what we can learn. Personally I find it the most interesting body in the Sytem.

Rosetta is exciting!

What is the purpose of the JWST and New Horizons space missions?

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) aims to study the early universe, search for signs of life on other planets, and investigate the structure and evolution of galaxies. New Horizons, on the other hand, is focused on exploring the outer regions of our solar system, particularly the dwarf planet Pluto and its moons.

When will these space missions be launched?

The JWST is currently scheduled for launch in November 2021, while New Horizons was launched in 2006 and is still actively sending back data from the outer reaches of our solar system.

What technology is being used in these space missions?

The JWST will use advanced infrared technology to capture images and data from the far reaches of the universe. New Horizons, on the other hand, is equipped with cameras, spectrometers, and other instruments to study the atmosphere, surface, and composition of Pluto and its moons.

What are the potential discoveries that could be made from these space missions?

The JWST could potentially uncover new information about the formation of the universe, detect exoplanets with potential for life, and provide more insight into the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy. New Horizons has already provided groundbreaking data on Pluto and its moons, and could potentially reveal more about the Kuiper Belt and other distant objects in our solar system.

How will these space missions impact our understanding of the universe?

The data and discoveries from these space missions have the potential to greatly expand our understanding of the universe and our place in it. These missions will provide valuable insights into the origins and evolution of the universe, the potential for life on other planets, and the vastness and diversity of our solar system.