Number of moles equation in exhaust gas

In summary, the exhaust gas from a car contains only water and no hydrocarbons. The hydrogen in the air coming-in is only found in the water molecules, and the hydrogen in the fuel is only found in the water molecules.
marellasunny
I've been given information that the exhaust gas contains only water and no HydroCarbons. So,the only hydrogen composition found in the exhaust gas is in the water.

Similarly,the hydrogen in the air coming-in is only found in the water molecules as the incoming air is pure and without any fuel.

My book hence states the equation relating the number of moles of water and number of moles of hydrogen:
∴ $$n_{H20 in air}=\frac{n_{H, air}}{2}$$

Shouldn't it be the reverse i.e 2*n_{H,air}?

Engineering news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:
I've been given information that the exhaust gas contains only water and no HydroCarbons. So,the only hydrogen composition found in the exhaust gas is in the water.

Similarly,the hydrogen in the air coming-in is only found in the water molecules as the incoming air is pure and without any fuel.

My book hence states the equation relating the number of moles of water and number of moles of hydrogen:
∴ $$n_{H20 in air}=\frac{n_{H, air}}{2}$$

Shouldn't it be the reverse i.e 2*n_{H,air}?
There are two hydrogen atoms in each molecule of water, so the number of water molecules is half the number of hydrogen atoms.

Chet

Also,I've been given the mass fraction of the hydrogen in the fuel(h). I now want to find the number of moles of hydrogen in the fuel n_{H,fuel}. I'm confused on which molar mass(/molecular weight) to use in the equation:

$$n_{H,fuel}=\frac{mass_{H,fuel}}{M_{fuel/H?}}$$

Must I use the molar mass of the fuel or the molar mass of hydrogen?

marellasunny said:
Also,I've been given the mass fraction of the hydrogen in the fuel(h). I now want to find the number of moles of hydrogen in the fuel n_{H,fuel}. I'm confused on which molar mass(/molecular weight) to use in the equation:

$$n_{H,fuel}=\frac{mass_{H,fuel}}{M_{fuel/H?}}$$

Must I use the molar mass of the fuel or the molar mass of hydrogen?
Are you saying you want to find the mole fraction of atomic hydrogen in the fuel, given the mass fraction of atomic hydrogen in the fuel?

Chet

What is the equation for calculating the number of moles in exhaust gas?

The equation for calculating the number of moles in exhaust gas is n = PV/RT, where n is the number of moles, P is the pressure, V is the volume, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature.

Why is the number of moles in exhaust gas important to measure?

The number of moles in exhaust gas is important to measure because it can provide information about the fuel efficiency of an engine, the amount of pollutants being emitted, and the overall health of the engine.

What units should be used for the variables in the number of moles equation?

The pressure should be in units of atmospheres, the volume in liters, the temperature in Kelvin, and the ideal gas constant has a value of 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K.

Can the number of moles in exhaust gas be used to calculate the amount of specific pollutants emitted?

Yes, the number of moles in exhaust gas can be used to calculate the amount of specific pollutants emitted by multiplying the number of moles by the molar mass of the pollutant.

How can the number of moles in exhaust gas be reduced?

The number of moles in exhaust gas can be reduced by improving the fuel efficiency of the engine, using cleaner burning fuels, and implementing emission control systems.