I captured a celestial event, could someone explain what it is?

• Thread starter yatharth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, Dave was taking pictures of the night sky in Pangong Tso, India, and noticed a lens flare. He also observed someone with flashlights waving around, and believes it to be the same person. Dave thinks the person may be part of a second exposure and can see right through them.
yatharth
Your conjectures are greatly appreciated.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/474886_10152844601975462_1263936401_o.jpg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Please tell us more about where you were, and why you were taking pictures of the night sky. What camera were you using, and what settings were you using. This almost looks like a hand-held cellphone picture...

Also, where were you? What cities are nearby?

looks possibly like lens flare from that bright light off to the right

Dave

I am with dave on that.

Now that you say it, the part under consideration does look like a lens flare. It wasn't a phone camera, berkman; it was a long exposure shot taken on a Nikon D60 SLR camera. The location is Pangong Tso in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir.

I third the notion, looks like lens flare.

Yes, it very clearly appears to be a lens flare. The region of the sky you're looking at is in Cygnus. Deneb is the bright star above your flare. Close to the position of a Cataclysmic Variable named SS Cyg which I have observed, and reported on, dozens of times at least. There is no object like the one depicted in your image in that part of th sky. You appear to have another lens flare, a much smaller and fainter blur off to the right, beneath that bright pair of stars, the brightest of which is Epsilon Cygni. Very close, but not quite at the position of the Veil Nebular, and I don't think you're going to pick up the Veil with this exposure.

Two things I can suggest, one is: don't assume that you have a "celestial event" because the odds are very much against that, and two: have a talk with those people off to the right waving their flashlights around trying to spell LEM (for some reason - is that you?). Assuming it's more than one person, which isn't at all clear, it really does seem to be the same guy, and anyway appears to be part of a second exposure, I can see right through them, they're not doing anyone, including themselves any favors. After just standing in the dark for a few minutes they'll be able to see everything quite distinctly. The flashlights actually hurt their ability to locate objects. Or maybe that was just you.

Other than that, good picture with minimal star trailing.

Likes arabianights

1. What is a celestial event?

A celestial event is an occurrence that takes place in the sky or outer space, typically involving celestial bodies such as stars, planets, and moons.

2. How do you capture a celestial event?

Capturing a celestial event involves using specialized equipment such as telescopes or cameras to record images or data of the event. It may also require planning and location scouting to find the best viewing spot.

3. What are some examples of celestial events?

Some common examples of celestial events include meteor showers, eclipses, comets, and planetary conjunctions.

4. How do you explain the significance of a celestial event?

The significance of a celestial event can vary depending on the event itself. Some events, like eclipses, have been studied for centuries and can provide valuable insights into the workings of our solar system. Other events, like meteor showers, may be more visually stunning but have less scientific significance.

5. Can you identify the celestial event in a captured image?

As a scientist, I would need more context and information about the captured image in order to accurately identify the celestial event. It may be helpful to provide additional details such as date, time, and location of the capture.