Can WorldWide Telescope Help View Gas Clouds, Star Systems, and Galaxies Online?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the author is looking for a program that will allow him to view objects in the sky, and he has found one that is suitable.
leroyjenkens
I have a project due where I need to observe a gas cloud, a star system, and a galaxy, and I have to write about what I see. It's due next week and since it's going to be cloudy so I won't be able to use the observatory, so I need another way to view them. Has anyone tried any programs that basically makes use of a really good telescope and would allow me to do what I need to do for this project?
Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To be clear, your project requires you to physically look through a telescope at something? You can't just look at a picture?

Drakkith said:
To be clear, your project requires you to physically look through a telescope at something? You can't just look at a picture?

Since I'm not able to use a real telescope, I wanted to try to replicate it as much as possible, since I have to write about how I viewed the object. And I kinda wanted to just search around the sky and find something. If I was to use a picture, I'd be finding what I searched for instead of searching and finding whatever I find. Of course, that is if a program like that is available.

You're better off just finding a picture. For one thing, just scanning around the sky will net you pretty much nothing. Between the extremely narrow field of view, intrinsic faintness of most objects, and battling light pollution you're pretty much not going to find anything except a bunch of stars. Visual oberving is... underwhelming to those of us who have grown up since the launch of the Hubble Space Telescope and the rise of digital imaging.

Maybe something in this article is what you're looking for?
www.universetoday.com/52114/online-telescope/
by Tammy Plotner - in 428 Google+ circles
Jan 25, 2010 - Have you ever wondered what it would be like to look through a telescope, but don't have one? Are you curious if there is such a thing as an ...

I'd go here and look around. There are several diferent projects on the go right now.
http://www.diskdetective.org/
You could even decide to volunteer!

Hi I found this software quite nice: http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/

It's a client, so you have to download and install it. It offers the possibility to look at the sky at different wavelenghts, and you can also make videos. These kind of presentation are uploadable, so you can enjoy the ones made by others, which are categorized by subject.

Hope it helps, bye.

1. How can I view space online?

There are several ways to view space online. You can visit websites such as NASA's official website, which offers live streams and images from various space missions. You can also use virtual reality technology to experience space in a more immersive way. Additionally, there are numerous astronomy websites and apps that provide real-time views of the night sky.

2. Is it possible to see live footage of space online?

Yes, it is possible to see live footage of space online. NASA and other space agencies often provide live streams from their missions and space stations. Additionally, there are websites and apps that offer live views of the night sky through telescopes or satellites.

3. Are there any online telescopes that I can use to view space?

Yes, there are online telescopes that allow you to view space from the comfort of your own home. Some examples include the Slooh Space Camera and the Virtual Telescope Project. These telescopes can be controlled remotely, allowing you to view different objects in space in real-time.

4. Can I view specific planets or objects in space online?

Yes, there are websites and apps that allow you to view specific planets or objects in space online. For example, NASA's Solar System Exploration website offers interactive 3D views of different planets and their moons. You can also use apps like SkyView or Star Walk to locate and view specific objects in the night sky.

5. Are there any free resources for viewing space online?

Yes, there are many free resources available for viewing space online. NASA's website, as well as other space agency websites, offer a wealth of information and live footage for free. There are also numerous astronomy websites and apps that provide free access to view the night sky. Additionally, some online telescopes offer free access for a limited time or have a free version available.