What Is the Correct Value of q in Coulomb's Law Problem?

In summary, the net force on a 1nC charge, located 2cm away in the y direction from a charge of 1nC, is 0. Using Coulomb's law, the forces from two bottom charges (2nC and 4cm below q) were found to be 9.79e-6i+9.79e-6j and -9.79e-6i+9.79e-6j respectively. The final charge (4cm below q and 3cm to the left) was found to have a force of -22500q in the j direction. By combining all forces, q was calculated to be 0.870nC, while the
jenduncan
The net force on a 1nC charge is 0. What is q?

There are 3 forces. q is 2cm in the y direction away from a charge of 1nC. Another charge of 2nC is 4cm below q and 3cm to the right. The final charge is 4cm below q and 3cm to the left. Using Coulomb's law, I found the force of the two bottom charges to be 9.79e-6i+9.79e-6j and -9.79e-6i+9.79e-6j respectively. The final charge I found to be -22500q in the j direction. By adding all the forces together I find q to be 0.870nC. The answer in the back of the book is 0.68nC. Where have I gone wrong?

My final equation to solve for q was 1.96e-5 = 22500q

Physics news on Phys.org
Force from first charge + Force fromsecond charge + Force from q = Force on 1nC charge = 0.

I think you missed this part which is why your off.

+ 9.79e-6 + 9.79e-6 - 9.79e-6 = 22500q + 1.96e-5.

It seems that you have made a mistake in your final equation. The correct equation should be 1.96e-5 = 22500q + 9.79e-6 + 9.79e-6 - 9.79e-6, as the force from the final charge should be subtracted, not added. This would give a value for q of 0.68nC, which matches the answer in the book. It's important to carefully check all the signs and directions when using Coulomb's law to ensure accurate calculations. Additionally, make sure to use consistent units throughout the equation, as this can also lead to incorrect results.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you find the value of q in Coulomb's Law?

The value of q can be found by rearranging the equation for Coulomb's Law, F = k(q1q2)/r^2, to solve for q. This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by k and multiplying by r^2 to get q = F/(k*r^2).

3. What is the unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law is the Coulomb (C). It is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to the charge of about 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law applies to both positive and negative charges. The force between two charges can be attractive (if the charges have opposite signs) or repulsive (if the charges have the same sign), depending on the value and signs of the charges.

5. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force according to Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the force increases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.