Complex exponentials and differential equations

In summary, to find the solution of the differential equation (d^2y(t)/dt^2) + (3dy(t)/dt) + (25/4)y(t) = 0 with the given boundary conditions of y(0) = 0 and dy/dt = 1 for t=0, we can use complex exponentials in the form e^pt(AcosQt+BsinQt) [p+-Qi]. Solving for m in the equation m^2 + 3m + 25/4 = 0, we get m = (-3+-4i)/2. Plugging this into the form, we get y(t) = e^((-3/2)t) ((1/
Pixter
question: Use complex exponentials to find the solution of the differential equation

(d^2y(t)/dt^2) + (3dy(t)/dt) + (25/4)y(t) = 0

such that y(0) = 0, dy/dt =1 for t=o

my taughts: I started by putting it in the form m^2 + 3m +25/4
m = (-3sqrt(9-25))/2 = (-3sqrt(-16))/2 = (-3+-4i)/2

then i thaught one can put it in the form e^pt(AcosQt+BsinQt) [p+-Qi]

so: y = (e^(-3/2)t)(Acos2t + Bsin2t)

y(0)=0 dy/dt=1 for t=0 y=Ae^(((-3+4i)/2)t) + Be^(((-3-4i)/2)t)

0 = (e^(-3/2)t)(Acos2t + Bsin2t)
0 = (Acos2t + Bsin2t)
0 = A + 0
A=0
dy/dt = (-3/2(e^(-3/2)t))(Acos2theta + Bsin2theta) + (e^(-3/2)t)(-2Asin2t + 2Bcos2t)
1=(-3/2)A +2B
2B = 1 (because A=0)
B=1/2
so y(t) = e^((-3/2)t) ((1/2)sin2t)

Don't know if I have done the question right or even got the question at all. just wanted to know if this is right, or if I'm on the right track but made a misstake on the way. Also if I'm completely wrong please point that out and give me a pointer where to start.

edit: sorry for posting this in both precalc and in calc, just didn't know where it belongs...i'm swedish don't actually know the definition for calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
The nice thing about differential equations is that you can always check if your answer is correct. Just plug your answer into the equation and see if it works out. You can also check that it does satisfy the boundray conditions.

The method was correct too. I`m not even sure why you're so unsure about the question or your answer. It asks to find the solution to the D.E. satisfying the boundary conditions and you have. Good job.

1. What is the definition of a complex exponential?

A complex exponential is a mathematical function in the form of eix, where i is the imaginary unit and x is a real number. It represents a complex number on the unit circle in the complex plane.

2. What is the difference between a real exponential and a complex exponential?

A real exponential is a function in the form of ex, where x is a real number. It represents exponential growth or decay in the real numbers. A complex exponential, on the other hand, is a function in the form of eix, where i is the imaginary unit and x is a real number. It represents rotation and scaling in the complex plane.

3. How are complex exponentials used in differential equations?

Complex exponentials are used in differential equations as solutions to linear homogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients. They can also be used as a method of solving non-homogeneous differential equations through the method of undetermined coefficients.

4. Can complex exponentials be represented in terms of sine and cosine?

Yes, complex exponentials can be represented in terms of sine and cosine through Euler's formula: eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This allows us to use the properties of sine and cosine to manipulate complex exponentials in calculations.

5. What is the significance of complex exponentials in physics and engineering?

Complex exponentials have many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and electromagnetics. They are used to describe phenomena involving oscillation, rotation, and waves, and can simplify mathematical models and calculations in these fields.