Fly in Cockpit: Does It Feel 5 Gs?

• Thread starter CleanSweep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, when you close the canopy on an aircraft, you notice a fly inside. You takeoff and then put 5 Gs on the aircraft. The fly is flying inside the cockpit and is being pulled 5 Gs. If you are accelerating forward, the fly would meet the ground. If you are pulling up, the fly's weight would go up 5x and it would meet the ground.
CleanSweep
A friend of mine likes to e-mail me a question of the day. I need a little help on this one.

When you close the canopy on your aircraft you notice there is a fly inside. You then takeoff and get up to altitude. The fly is flying inside the cockpit when you put 5 Gs on the aircraft - question - is the flying pulling 5 Gs too? And, if not, will the fly splatter against the windscreen as you pull 5 Gs?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Im assuming you're asking pulling positive 'g's and not negative. In that case, the fly would smash into the floor of the aircraft, for the same reason that your rear end gets smashed into the seat when you pull the g's. Accleration forces in the positive range cause the aircraft to 'accelerate', thus the fly who is flying his own flight would meet the aircrafts floor.

To help clarify, let me provide another example: a helium balloon that is at equilibrium with the air in the cockpit (not rising to the top or falling to the bottom). Since it weighs exactly the same as the surrounding air, pulling g's would not affect it.

But a fly weighs more than the surrounding air. It's flapping it's wings to create lift equivalent to it's weight. When the plane pulls 5 g's, the fly's weight goes up 5x and it falls to the floor unless it can beat it's wings faster.

Welcome aboard, both of you.

i don't understand, because you guys are saying the fly meets the ground when you are "pulling" 5gs i don't uderstand why the fly hits the ground would he be pushed to back if you were accelerating forward, or maybe you are not acceleration forward you are pulling up causing the increase in gs.

i don't know...

When you "pull g" in an aircraft what you are doing is changing the straigh flight path into a curved flight path upwards. So when the aircraft is following that curve, Newton has ordered that things, not forced to do something else, to continue moving in a straigth line. So that straight line of the fly eventually meets the cockpit floor in its curved path upwards.

Thanks to all for your help.

1. What is the sensation of experiencing 5 Gs in a fly in cockpit?

The sensation of experiencing 5 Gs in a fly in cockpit is similar to having five times your body weight pressing down on you. It can feel like a heavy force pushing you into your seat, making it difficult to move or even breathe.

2. How does the body physically respond to 5 Gs?

When experiencing 5 Gs, the body's blood flow is affected, causing blood to pool in the lower extremities. This can lead to a decrease in blood flow to the brain, resulting in a loss of vision or consciousness. The body may also experience increased heart rate and blood pressure, as well as muscle tension.

3. What precautions are taken to protect pilots from the effects of 5 Gs?

Pilots in a fly in cockpit wear specialized suits that help to squeeze their body and prevent blood pooling. They also undergo training to learn techniques for breathing and muscle tensing to help maintain blood flow to the brain. Some aircraft also have special seats that can tilt to a more upright position to help reduce the effects of G-forces.

4. How does the intensity of 5 Gs compare to other activities?

The intensity of 5 Gs is greater than most daily activities, with the exception of certain extreme sports or amusement park rides. For comparison, a roller coaster typically reaches up to 4 Gs and bungee jumping can reach up to 5 Gs.

5. Are there any long-term effects of experiencing 5 Gs?

While occasional exposure to 5 Gs is not harmful, prolonged exposure can have negative effects on the body. This can include increased risk of neck and back injuries, as well as potential damage to the eyes and brain. Pilots also have a higher risk of developing certain health conditions, such as hearing loss and vision problems, due to repeated exposure to G-forces.