Register to reply

Aperture of ISO telescope

by Quagz
Tags: aperture, telescope
Share this thread:
Quagz
May6-12, 01:01 PM
P: 9
a bit random to this but could any of you give me an example aperture for a telescope collecting ISO far-infrared radiation. (to assist a theory about Andromeda)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
Drakkith
May6-12, 01:05 PM
Mentor
P: 12,005
Quote Quote by Quagz View Post
a bit random to this but could any of you give me an example aperture for a telescope collecting ISO far-infrared radiation. (to assist a theory about Andromeda)
An example aperture? What do you mean?
Quagz
May7-12, 11:23 AM
The aperture (light/radiation gathering area in meter squared) of a telescope collecting ISO Far-infrared radiation :)

Drakkith
May7-12, 03:27 PM
Mentor
Aperture of ISO telescope

The aperture (light/radiation gathering area in meter squared) of a telescope collecting ISO Far-infrared radiation :)
Yes, I know what an aperture is, but I don't know what you mean by asking for an example aperture. I'm sure apertures range from a few millimeters to multi-meter designs.
Quagz
May9-12, 11:36 AM
The Aperture is different for every telescope depending on what radiation it is gathering, i kneed to know an aperture for a telescope gathering ISO Far-infrared radiation.
sas3
May9-12, 01:00 PM
PF Gold
P: 201
The Aperture is different for every telescope depending on what radiation it is gathering, i kneed to know an aperture for a telescope gathering ISO Far-infrared radiation.
No the aperture is in reference to how much radiation you want to gather not what type of radiation. Normally bigger is better, maybe you are thinking of the focal point, that does change for the different types of light.

If not then I am confused by your question also???
Drakkith
May9-12, 03:07 PM
Mentor
As Sas3 said, the aperture isn't usually dependent on the type of light you want to capture. A bigger aperture simply captures more light overall, of any type.
Redbelly98
May9-12, 06:40 PM
Mentor
P: 12,074
I've moved this discussion to a new thread, since it's not really related to Astrophotography.

As others said, your question is worded rather strangely. ISO -- the Infrared Space Observatory -- is one specific telescope with a definite aperture, so it is odd to ask for an "example aperture" when asking about a specific telescope. It's kind of like asking "please give an example of John Smith's last name". Unless you mean something entirely different by ISO?

According to Wikipedia, the ISO has an aperture of 60 cm.
collinsmark
May10-12, 06:08 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,968
Also, try researching/googling "resolving power" of a telescope.

The ability for a telescope to resolve two objects of an given angular distance is a function of the telescope's aperture. It is also a function of the wavelength of light being observed. This is the result of diffraction.

The detail is proportional to the aperture, and inversely proportional to the wavelength.

Putting it a different way: The bigger the aperture, the smaller the diffraction. The bigger the wavelength, the bigger the diffraction.

Resolving power can be expressed as

[tex] \sin \theta = 1.220 \frac{\lambda}{D} [/tex]

Where [itex] \theta [/itex] is the minimum angular separation in radians, [itex] \lambda [/itex] is the wavelength of the light, and [itex] D [/itex] is the telescope's aperture.

And since [itex] \theta [/itex] is bound to be small for any practical telescope application, you might want to make the approximation (for small [itex] \theta [/itex]), [itex] \sin \theta \approx \theta [/itex]

Although the above is fine and good, it really represents the maximum resolving power. Other factors such as atmospheric "seeing" can reduce the effective resolution (for Earth based telescopes) to something worse than what is given above.
Quagz
May11-12, 11:03 AM
@collinsmark Many thanks for you reply and also understanding the question unlike some :)

Register to reply