Exploring the Relationship Between Power and Distance in a Single Movable Pulley

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the effort needed to lift a weight twice as far as the weight it is lifting requires four times the input power.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

For a single movable pulley explain the truth of the statement, "What we gain in power, we lose in distance."

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the effort needs to move twice the distance as that of the load. So is this the loss??

Please do explain to me "gain in power"!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pulleys are used to lift objects. "Power" in this case refers to the weight that the pulley is lifting (the load suspended from it). The product of the load and the distance lifted is the work done by the lifting force. This energy is supplied by the mechanism hauling the rope (chain) in.

Think of a lever. It's easy to see that the gain in leverage is offset by a loss of distance.

andrevdh said:
Pulleys are used to lift objects. "Power" in this case refers to the weight that the pulley is lifting (the load suspended from it). The product of the load and the distance lifted is the work done by the lifting force. This energy is supplied by the mechanism hauling the rope (chain) in.

Are you talking about mechanical advantage? ratio of load to effort is 2?

No, instead of power you should read load, that is the actual weight that the pulley is lifting. The way that the term power is used in this problem is very misleading (and confusing especially in a Physics course as you have discovered) and I suspect that the author ment to use the term load. It would have been closer to the truth if the term "lifting or output power" was used. The reason why I suspect that this was his intention is that if one neglect energy losses the work input should be equal to the work output by the system:

[tex]f_i\ s_i = f_o\ s_o[/tex]

This means that if the "output power" (load / output force) is four times the "input power" (input force) then the load can be lifted throught only a quarter of the distance (speed) that the input force moves.

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
No, instead of power you should read load, that is the actual weight that the pulley is lifting. The way that the term power is used in this problem is very misleading (and confusing especially in a Physics course as you have discovered) and I suspect that the author ment to use the term load. It would have been closer to the truth if the term "lifting or output power" was used. The reason why I suspect that this was his intention is that if one neglect energy losses the work input should be equal to the work output by the system:

[tex]f_i\ s_i = f_o\ s_o[/tex]

This means that if the "output power" (load / output force) is four times the "input power" (input force) then the load can be lifted throught only a quarter of the distance (speed) that the input force moves.

Thanks for the help! I can understand your point of view! Thanks a lot.

1. How does a single movable pulley work?

A single movable pulley is a type of pulley system that consists of one pulley attached to a fixed point and another pulley attached to the object being lifted. The rope or belt passes through the pulleys, allowing the user to pull down on one end of the rope and lift the object with less force. The movable pulley changes the direction of the force required to lift the object, making it easier to lift heavy loads.

2. What are the advantages of using a single movable pulley?

One advantage of using a single movable pulley is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object. This makes it easier and more efficient to lift heavy objects. Another advantage is that it allows for the direction of the force to be changed, which can be useful in certain situations.

3. What are some common applications of a single movable pulley?

Single movable pulleys are commonly used in various industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation. They are also used in everyday tasks, such as raising a flag or lifting a heavy object in a garage. In addition, single movable pulleys are commonly used in fitness equipment, such as weight machines and cable machines.

4. How much weight can a single movable pulley lift?

The weight that a single movable pulley can lift depends on the type and quality of the pulley, as well as the strength of the person using it. Generally, a single movable pulley can lift up to 5 times the amount of the force applied to the rope or belt. So, if 50 pounds of force is applied, the pulley can lift up to 250 pounds.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a single movable pulley?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a single movable pulley. It is important to make sure the pulley is securely attached to a fixed point and that the rope or belt is in good condition. It is also important to use proper lifting techniques and not exceed the weight limit of the pulley. Additionally, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves, when handling heavy loads.