Volume of a cube versus side length

In summary, the rate of change of the volume of a cube with respect to its edge length is equal to half the surface area of a cube. This can be seen by taking the derivative of the volume (l^3) with respect to the edge length (l), which is 3l^2, or half the surface area (6l^2).
emma3001
Show that the rate of change of the volume of a cube with respect to its edge length is equal to half the surface area of a cube.

I know that surface area= 6l^2(because of the six faces)
I know that volume is l^3. How do I relate volume then to edge length

Physics news on Phys.org
emma3001 said:
Show that the rate of change of the volume of a cube with respect to its edge length is equal to half the surface area of a cube.

The "rate of change" is the derivative.

So what is the derivative of the volume with respect to the edge length?

Thanks! I now realize that the first derivative of the volume is 3l^2, which is half the surface area

Right.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cube?

The formula for finding the volume of a cube is V = s^3, where s is the length of one side of the cube. This means that you would multiply the side length by itself three times to find the volume.

2. How does the side length of a cube affect its volume?

The side length of a cube directly affects its volume. As the side length increases, the volume also increases. This is because the volume is proportional to the cube of the side length (V = s^3), meaning that even a small increase in side length can result in a significant increase in volume.

3. What are the units for measuring volume?

The units for measuring volume can vary depending on the system of measurement being used. In the metric system, the standard unit for volume is cubic meters (m^3). In the imperial system, the standard unit for volume is cubic feet (ft^3). Other common units for volume include liters, gallons, and cubic centimeters.

4. Can the volume of a cube be negative?

No, the volume of a cube cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of how much space an object occupies, and since a cube cannot have a negative amount of space, its volume cannot be negative.

5. How does the volume of a cube compare to its surface area?

The volume of a cube and its surface area are related, but they are not the same thing. The surface area of a cube is the total area of all its surfaces, while the volume is the amount of space inside the cube. The surface area increases at a faster rate than the volume as the side length increases. Specifically, the surface area increases at a rate of s^2, while the volume increases at a rate of s^3.