Is a grad degree via on-line and part-time possible?

• Programs
  • Thread starter FreshStart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Grad
In summary, obtaining a part-time master's degree is common and possible, with some programs offering evening courses. However, online programs may be limited in certain fields such as engineering. It may be more beneficial to pursue a degree through night and weekend courses or through the Navy's assistance.
FreshStart
Is a grad degree via on-line and part-time possible?

I'm currently in the navy, had my BS Physics since '95, I'm 37 years young, and would like to earn my Masters in an R&D field, or something related. I know what I'd like to do on a day to day basis, but don't know how to actually find a job description with respect to it. Need Guidance...

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, what would you like to do on a day to day basis?

Masters degree seems kind of pointless on-line, atleast if you are looking for work in the field. You need to establish connections with profs and advisors. For the sheer knowledge, go for it. Just don't quit your day job.

Part time is possible, in fact part time for Master's programs is extremely common. There are scads of people that come back later after they have a job and family to do a Master's program. There are also "Evening Master's" programs, depending on institutional offerings.

Part time for PhD is rather uncommon. You would need to have a very understanding advisor.

Online is rare, but happens often enough for Master's programs if you're not too picky about WHAT program it is. It's a special case that depends on what the institution decides to offer, much like the Evening programs. However, areas like physics tend to have an Evening program much more frequently than they have an Online program. On the other hand, if you want a degree in Information Science...o_O

I would be surprised to learn if anything other than a course-based M.Sc. program is available on line. For graduate work in physics, I don't think there's much point to a course-based degree unless your ultimate goal is teaching. It's very difficult to learn how to research properly without proper face time with your supervisor.

As for part time, that's definitely possible, but it obviously take longer to finish.

I'm highly interested in working with/leading a team of designers/researchers on environmental , or space program projects (ie. designing a more efficient, lighter weight, less expensive solar roof panel(s)/ designing a more efficient working, and living space aboard the international space station). This, I would love to do on a day to day basis.

I just don't know how to go about preparing to be qualified to find such work!

Last edited:

Please help. What is my next step?

I would have to say that if you are interested in research and design, there probably is not anything based online that can help you. Maybe you could get into a Masters program in engineering with your Physics B.s. ?

Design --> Master's, probably an engineering field, which depends on what you want to do.

Research --> Master's or Ph.D depending on plans and area.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a Master's program in Engineering on-line. With the Navy, it will be my only way (time wise) I'm afraid. I'll be looking for an employer for that type of work in the southern MA., and northern CT.. Any companies in that area? Any suggestions would be a huge help. Thank you again for your time and thoughts.

I would be very surprised to hear an Engineering degree was available online (let alone a Masters program). Not to be discouraging, just honest. Hopefully someone else can chime in here with some alternative suggestions that could get you in the back door of engineering. I mean think about it: Engineering=Hands on. Online not equal to hands on.

I am sure there are others here with some really good ideas, so hang in there! :smile:

Thanks saladsamurai. Truly appreciate your words.

Be surprised, then.

http://www.outreach.washington.edu/cengr/apply_cee.asp

Just a quick google to demonstrate the point. On the other hand, I would look on the part time and evening options as GREATLY favorable to the online option. Your institution and program choices will be severely limited, and the sort of thing you want to acquire experience and preparation for IS NOT generally well-suited to online-only study.

Asphodel said:
Be surprised, then.

http://www.outreach.washington.edu/cengr/apply_cee.asp

Just a quick google to demonstrate the point. On the other hand, I would look on the part time and evening options as GREATLY favorable to the online option. Your institution and program choices will be severely limited, and the sort of thing you want to acquire experience and preparation for IS NOT generally well-suited to online-only study.

Interesting. Though the prerequisite is a B.S. in Civil... I am sure you could click around and find another option that suits your needs.

Like Asphodel said, though, if you can do night and weekend classes, that would be extremely advantageous. However, if you do the online route, be prepared to have to convince future employers that your experience was meaningful. Nothing beats hands on experience. So be prepared to look for opportunities to do hands on research to supplement your M.S. program.

Good luck! :smile:

If you're in the Navy, why not have them pay for it? Request an NROTC billet and pick it up while posted at the university. There's also Monterey.

Sounds great. Yeah, my only option for, the next 4 years, is to take them on-line only. But, is there a difference between degree and program. (ie. Master's Program vs Master's Degree)
I'm hoping the Navy will take care of most of , if not all the expenses.

Degrees are granted by a college (often within a university). A program is a specific course of study, e.g. Electrical Engineering.

University of Southern California offers a online MS in various engineering fields
Michigan State offers an online masters in beam physics
University of Arizona offers a (mostly) online MS in optical sciences - some lab requirements
Arizona, Arizona State and Northern Arizona offer a ME (Master of Engineering) degree in most typical engineering fields, plus the coursework can be greatly customized, some good stuff on semiconductor device manufacturing and systems engineering.

1. Is it possible to earn a graduate degree online and part-time?

Yes, it is possible to earn a graduate degree online and part-time. Many universities offer online and flexible options for their graduate programs to accommodate students who are working or have other commitments.

2. Are online and part-time graduate degrees perceived as less valuable than traditional degrees?

No, online and part-time graduate degrees are not perceived as less valuable than traditional degrees. As long as the program is accredited and meets the same academic standards as traditional programs, the degree earned is considered just as valuable.

3. How long does it take to complete an online and part-time graduate degree?

The length of time to complete an online and part-time graduate degree varies depending on the program and individual pace. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-6 years for a doctoral degree.

4. Can I still have access to resources and support as an online and part-time graduate student?

Yes, online and part-time graduate students still have access to resources and support from their university. Many universities offer online support services such as virtual libraries, tutoring, and career services. Additionally, most professors are available for virtual office hours and support via email or video conferencing.

5. Will I have the same opportunities for networking and hands-on experience in an online and part-time graduate program?

It depends on the program and university. Some online and part-time graduate programs may offer opportunities for networking and hands-on experience through virtual events, internships, or on-campus residencies. However, it is important to research and consider the opportunities available before enrolling in a program.