Artificially Controlling Human Emotion

In summary: But would removing the words we use to describe emotions really get rid of the emotions that the words we removed described?
avant-garde
In the future, if mankind engineered a device that could voluntarily be used to control and manipulate our emotions for the better, should we use them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We already have such a device. They are called actors. I had a college classmate who liked to yell in people's faces (he wanted to mess with), ranting off a loud tirade of insulting speech, becoming quite red in the face, and watch their reaction. After the first couple times, I knew it was a put on.. But he certainly manipulated their emotions..

I take that as a creative way to say "yes".

We have many drugs that do this to an extent.

I would be extremely careful as to what extent "to the better" would be taken.

*-<|:-D=<-< said:
I would be extremely careful as to what extent "to the better" would be taken.

How the hell do you pronounce your name? :confused:

Danger said:

It must be zero.

Danger said:

The others call me Santa. =)

Was it Ray Bradbury's 'Fahrenheit 451' or Phillip K. Dick's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' that had the box one could use to 'dial in' an emotion? The sci-fi dystopias run together dometimes. In that vein, you could always go the Orwellian '1984' route of simply removing all words for negative emotion from the lexicon. Pretty creative.

Anticitizen said:
Was it Ray Bradbury's 'Fahrenheit 451' or Phillip K. Dick's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' that had the box one could use to 'dial in' an emotion? The sci-fi dystopias run together dometimes. In that vein, you could always go the Orwellian '1984' route of simply removing all words for negative emotion from the lexicon. Pretty creative.

But would removing the words we use to describe emotions really get rid of the emotions that the words we removed described?

And I'm pretty sure it was "do androids dream of electric sheep" btw.

1. What is artificially controlling human emotion?

Artificially controlling human emotion is the manipulation of emotions through external factors such as drugs, technology, or other stimuli. It is the deliberate act of altering an individual's emotional state.

2. Is artificially controlling human emotion ethical?

The ethical implications of artificially controlling human emotion are highly debated. Some argue that it can be beneficial in therapeutic or medical contexts, while others raise concerns about the potential for abuse and loss of autonomy.

3. How does artificially controlling human emotion work?

Artificially controlling human emotion can work through various means, including pharmaceuticals, brain stimulation, and virtual reality. These methods can target specific brain regions or neurotransmitters to alter an individual's emotional response.

4. What are the potential benefits of artificially controlling human emotion?

Some potential benefits of artificially controlling human emotion include improved mental health, increased emotional regulation, and enhanced performance in certain situations. It may also help individuals cope with traumatic experiences.

5. What are the potential risks of artificially controlling human emotion?

There are several potential risks associated with artificially controlling human emotion. These include unintended side effects, loss of natural emotional responses, and the potential for abuse or manipulation by outside forces.