How to get stresses in a beam with known deflection

In summary, to get stresses in a beam with known deflection, you need to use the equation σ = M*y/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and I is the moment of inertia. This equation can be used to determine the stress at any point along the beam, and can also be used to find the maximum stress and location of maximum stress. Additionally, it is important to consider the material properties of the beam, such as its modulus of elasticity and yield strength, to ensure that the stresses do not exceed the beam's capacity. By using this equation and considering material properties, the stresses in a beam with known deflection can be accurately determined.
ladil123
Hello!

I have a elastically bedded beam that is subjected to a pointload on the top of the beam.
I have managed to solve for the deflection in the beam.

Can I use this deflection to get the stress somehow?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
ladil123 said:
Hello!

I have a elastically bedded beam that is subjected to a pointload on the top of the beam.
I have managed to solve for the deflection in the beam.

Can I use this deflection to get the stress somehow?

Thanks

Yes. What are the boundary conditions?

Take a look here for the equations to use:

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/solid_mechanics/beams/theory.cfm

CS

My beam is positioned on a elastic material that gives the "elastic bedded" part to the problem, My boundary conditions are that the beam doesn't have any moment at the outer lengths of the beam and no shear forces there as well.

Should I determine the shear force or bending moment at some point with my formula for the deflection to get the stress contribution ?

ladil123 said:
My beam is positioned on a elastic material that gives the "elastic bedded" part to the problem, My boundary conditions are that the beam doesn't have any moment at the outer lengths of the beam and no shear forces there as well.

Should I determine the shear force or bending moment at some point with my formula for the deflection to get the stress contribution ?

Is it a finite-length beam?

It gets rather involed so it may be best to take a look at "Roark's Formula's for Stress and Strain" as they have a whole section on beams on elastic foundations.

CS

Its really this problem I wanted to solve:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=293368

But I have "simplified" the problem to a beam that is on a elastic bed with a point load as said before.
As seen in the problem in the link above that's a cross section of a ring mounted on a shaft. So what I really want is the torsional stress in the lower part of the ring.
http://www.roarksformulas.com/ didnt work for the moment, but I´ll try to check it out later.

1. How do you calculate stresses in a beam with known deflection?

To calculate stresses in a beam with known deflection, you will need to use the equation: stress = (force * distance) / (moment of inertia * distance from neutral axis). This equation takes into account the force applied, the distance from the force to the neutral axis, and the moment of inertia of the beam. By plugging in these values, you can determine the stress at a specific location on the beam.

2. What is the moment of inertia of a beam?

The moment of inertia of a beam is a measure of its resistance to bending. It is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the beam by the square of the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fibers of the beam. This value is an important factor in calculating stresses in a beam with known deflection.

3. Can deflection be used to determine the stresses in a beam?

Yes, deflection can be used to determine the stresses in a beam. By measuring the deflection of a beam at a specific location and using the equation mentioned in the first question, you can calculate the stress at that location. However, it is important to note that deflection alone is not enough to determine the stresses in a beam, as other factors such as the force applied and the moment of inertia also play a role.

4. What are the units for stresses in a beam?

The units for stresses in a beam are typically expressed in pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa). These units represent the amount of force per unit area that the beam is experiencing at a specific location.

5. How does the shape of a beam affect the stresses?

The shape of a beam can greatly affect the stresses it experiences. A beam with a larger moment of inertia, such as a wide flange beam, will be able to withstand higher stresses compared to a beam with a smaller moment of inertia, such as a narrow beam. Additionally, the location and distribution of the force applied to the beam can also affect the stresses it experiences.