What Is This Object? (5.5 MB Image Included)

• Thread starter dotancohen
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, this image appears to be a match that has just burned out, or a BB on a dusty table at sunset.
dotancohen
Does anybody know what this object could be? I can post the original tiff of it, but beware that it's 5.5 MB.

Attachments

• what-is-this.png
    what-is-this.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have some context for us?

dotancohen said:
Does anybody know what this object could be? I can post the original tiff of it, but beware that it's 5.5 MB.

well there's a few things it could be its most likely a meteorite burning up in the Earth's atmusfere. sorry about the horrible spelling. it could also be a comet.

Mercury?

I only have context from an unreliable source, that's why I'm asking here. I'd actually rather not provide context as to not influence what possibilities the physicsforum community can come up with.

Better post a link to tiff.

That's no moon...

Looks like something microscopic, like a small glass sphere on some dusty surface.

ya but why would it have the black tail behind it?
i believe its a meteorite in the night sky

In that case it is going directly towards sun, because trail is at the same angle as light that is shining on it. I think that trail is due to the incident light from the source being blocked. And it is pretty much spherical. As Ich said it could be anything, even microscopic.

yes i believe your right now. because looking at the bottom left of the sphere is sticking out of the black trail. it could be just about anything. does look almost like a meteorite tho.

Edit: if you mean meteorite in Earth's atmosphere, then it would have fire trail, plus image would have to be exposed very shortly in order to get sharp image of meteorite, and then there would be no stars in the background.

Last edited:
well no it doesn't have to be in Earth's atmosphere it could be flying anywhere

I agree, but then it is illuminated by the sun, not by it's own radiation. And again it is spherical. With little imagination you can produce image like this in your room. Until OP provide us with better resolution, or some info, we can't tell. Maybe someone else have seen this image and knows exactly what it is?

exacly some one should try to find a picture of this in google

dotancohen said:
I only have context from an unreliable source, that's why I'm asking here. I'd actually rather not provide context as to not influence what possibilities the physicsforum community can come up with.
Context is critical. We can't be of much help without it plus we can help judge the accuracy of the contextual information.

Very unlikely to be a meteor: a meteor has to be huge or close to not show up as a point source in a photo.

russ_watters said:
Very unlikely to be a meteor: a meteor has to be huge or close to not show up as a point source in a photo.

true i never thought of that

The background looks like a surface or possibly a liquid; the marks on it are grouped into lines and patches. Note in particular that in the top left there appears to be a line shaped like a shallow ">" coming down from a prominent white dot.

If it is a photograph on film, I suppose some of these marks could be from damage or dirt on the film.

If it is a surface, the object casting the shadow is not spherical, as the shadow near to it does not show much light able to pass underneath, although there are one or two light points. I think it looks as if it's probably very small.

I think a higher resolution picture would help.

DavidSnider said:
That's no moon...

It's a space station!

I'm sorry, I had to.

That is not space station unless they radically changed the design recently.
Anyway that image is not appearing to be of astronomical origin. To me it looks like light match being fired. But it could be anything.

Could just as easily be a BB on a dusty table at sunset.

If this is "Guess What You're Looking At" then all bets are off. If it is supposedly some celestial body that we're trying to verify then we need context.

DaveC426913 said:
Could just as easily be a BB on a dusty table at sunset.
Sure - maybe it's a match that just burned-out!

This thread is useless without context.

Does anyone know a better file upload service? The only one that is uploading the file is 2shared and now that I'm testing I cannot see how to download the file again! What service should I be using?

There are few things that are wrong with this picture. First black tail has almost parallel edges, and looks like it is solid. Second, tip appears to be self illuminated with unequal temperature across its surface. Third, 'stars' don't look quite right.

Dotancohen, I think that it would be best if you give us context in which are you interested in this image, whatever it is.

It looks like a styrofoam ball on a spotted surface if you ask me. I think there's a hoax going on here. That just doesn't look like an astronomical object.

No hoax, and I never presented it as an astronomical object. The only content that I have is that it came from my university's Chemical Engineering building. I agree with Ich's guess that it looks microscopic, but I did not want to mention my own personal opinion when I am soliciting the opinion of others!

dotancohen said:
No hoax, and I never presented it as an astronomical object. The only content that I have is that it came from my university's Chemical Engineering building. I agree with Ich's guess that it looks microscopic, but I did not want to mention my own personal opinion when I am soliciting the opinion of others!

Well, come on, let's be frank... You did post it in the astronomy forum. But, good luck trying to figure this out.

> Well, come on, let's be frank... You did post it in
> the astronomy forum. But, good luck trying to
> figure this out.

No I didn't, it was probably moved here. Actually, I did not even realize that it was moved until you mentioned it. In my opinion, it shouldn't be here because the object might not be an astronomical object. I am rather surprised that a mod would make such an assumption and thus move the thread.

Can a mod please move this back to the General forum?

KrisOhn said:
It's a space station!

I'm sorry, I had to.

"That's a fully operational battle station!"

Come on man!

dotancohen said:
> Well, come on, let's be frank... You did post it in
> the astronomy forum. But, good luck trying to
> figure this out.

No I didn't, it was probably moved here. Actually, I did not even realize that it was moved until you mentioned it. In my opinion, it shouldn't be here because the object might not be an astronomical object. I am rather surprised that a mod would make such an assumption and thus move the thread.

Can a mod please move this back to the General forum?
Sorry, the thread was mistakenly moved, and then that threw everyone off...moving back to GD.

Here is is, cropped to maintain full resolution. I also tried a histogram stretch to bring out dim details and there is nothing else there. The photo is greyscale - there is no color in it, but that doesn't mean the object photographed is black and white. What people assumed to be stars in the background appear to just be ccd read noise from a long exposure.

One possibility I see: a lit cigarette.

Attachments

• what-is-this.jpg
    what-is-this.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 391