Calculating Angular Acceleration of a Rotating Rod

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the angular acceleration of a uniform meterstick, with a mass/unit length of \mu kg/m and a rotational inertia of 0.093 \mu kg/m2, when released from rest in a horizontal position. The torque due to gravitational force acting on the stick is given by \tau =Mg \left( \frac{L}{2} \right), where L is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass. Since the stick is pivoted at the 40 cm mark, L is equal to 0.1 m. Using the equation \alpha = \frac{\tau}{I}, we can calculate the angular acceleration to be 10.5 rad
roam

Homework Statement

A uniform metre-rule is pivoted to rotate about a horizontal axisthrough the 40-cm mark. The stick has a mass/unit length of [tex]\mu[/tex] kg/m and its rotational inertia about this pivot is [tex]0.093 \mu[/tex] kg/m2. It is released from rest in a horizontal position. What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the rod?

Homework Equations

An expression for the magnitude of the torque due to gravitational force about an axis through the pivot: [tex] \tau =Mg \left( \frac{L}{2} \right)[/tex]

Angular accleration and torque: [tex]\sum \tau = I \alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [tex]\mu = \frac{M}{L}[/tex], and L=0.4m I get

[tex]\tau = 0.4 \mu g \frac{0.4}{2} = 0.78 \mu[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{\tau}{I} = \frac{0.78 \mu}{0.093 \mu} = 8.43[/tex]

But my answer is wrong. The correct answer must be 10.5 rad/s2. Could anyone please help me? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
An expression for the magnitude of the torque due to gravitational force about an axis through the pivot: [tex] \tau =Mg \left( \frac{L}{2} \right)[/tex]
Why L/2?

Since [tex]\mu = \frac{M}{L}[/tex], and L=0.4m I get
L = 1 m. (It's a meterstick.)

What force provides the torque? How far does that force act from the pivot?

Why L/2?

Because the gravitational force on the stick acts at its center of mass.

Since the it is pivoted at the 40 cm mark, should I use 60/2 (since the mass is uniformly distributed)?

But this didn't work because I ended up with [tex]\alpha = 31.6[/tex]...

Typing error

torque=I*alpha
torque=Fr

Last edited:
roam said:
Because the gravitational force on the stick acts at its center of mass.
True, but to calculate the torque due to the weight you need its distance from the pivot. What is that distance?

Doc Al said:
True, but to calculate the torque due to the weight you need its distance from the pivot. What is that distance?

distance=0.1 cm

inky said:
distance=0.1 cm
The question was meant for the OP, of course. :rolleyes:
(And your units are off.)

Doc Al said:
The question was meant for the OP, of course. :rolleyes:
(And your units are off.)

I am sorry for my wrong units. Actually I should write r=0.1 m. Thanks so much.

What is rotation about a fixed axis?

Rotation about a fixed axis is the movement of an object around an imaginary line (axis) that does not move. This type of rotation is also known as axial rotation and is a common concept in physics and engineering.

What is the difference between rotation about a fixed axis and rotation about a moving axis?

The main difference is that in rotation about a fixed axis, the axis of rotation remains constant, while in rotation about a moving axis, the axis of rotation changes with time. This means that the direction of the rotational motion is also different in these two types of rotations.

How is angular velocity related to rotation about a fixed axis?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating about an axis. In rotation about a fixed axis, the angular velocity is constant as the axis of rotation does not change. However, in rotation about a moving axis, the angular velocity can change over time as the axis of rotation changes.

What are some real-world examples of rotation about a fixed axis?

There are many examples of rotation about a fixed axis in everyday life. Some common ones include the rotation of a wheel on a car, the spinning of a top, and the movement of a ceiling fan. In engineering, this concept is used in machines such as turbines and gears.

What are some important equations related to rotation about a fixed axis?

Some of the key equations related to rotation about a fixed axis include angular velocity = change in angular displacement/change in time, angular acceleration = change in angular velocity/change in time, and moment of inertia = mass x radius^2. These equations are used to calculate various parameters and analyze the motion of objects undergoing rotation about a fixed axis.