What is the Simplest Series that Sums to 1/pi?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a series that sums to pi or a rational multiple of 1/pi, motivated by a physics problem. The option of using a continued fraction expansion for pi to find a series for 1/pi is suggested, as well as the possibility of using Feynman diagrams. Some formulas and resources are mentioned, and ideas for finding a series of Feynman diagrams are discussed.
CarlB
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If I want a series that sums to pi there are a lot of choices. I seem to recall that there is also at least one simple series that sums to a rational multiple of 1/pi, but I can't recall what it is.

I managed to find a continued fraction expansion that gives 1/pi, but it didn't seem to produce a very simple infinite series.

The motivation for this problem is that I've been working on a physics problem where the answer is "2/9", and one begins with "2 pi / 3". If there were a series that came to 1/pi or better yet 1/(3 pi), then I might be able to guess a physical process (i.e. a series of Feynman diagrams) that would give that sum. Anyone have any clues?

[edit]Maybe that continued fraction expansion is what I'm looking for. Basically, it's a continued fraction expansion for pi, but when one eliminates the first term, one gets an expansion for 1/pi. This seems like the kind of thing that might show up in a resummation of Feynman diagrams.[/edit]

No I am not in school, and this is not homework.

Carl

Mathematics news on Phys.org
there's something for 2/pi, look at mathworld.com in pi formulas.
there are also formulas 1/pi but i didn't see a contiued fraction there.

loop quantum gravity said:
there's something for 2/pi, look at mathworld.com in pi formulas.
there are also formulas 1/pi but i didn't see a contiued fraction there.

Just what I needed. Now for some poking and hoping.

By the way, their continued fraction expansions for Pi are here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PiContinuedFraction.html

Carl

Some time ago I remember seeing an iterative method for calculating [itex]\pi[/itex] (may or may not be the same as the continued fraction solution). If anybody is interested, I'll see if I can dig it up.

The sum I feel would be most suited to this project can be found on ramujan's wiki page in the adult hood section. Sorry I can't just paste it for you, I'm on my phone :)

I also have some rough thoughts on how one might procede with the physical process. One place you might want to look is at the category#2 version of the Fourier transform... which is almost one of those langlans program thing.

It's a cool idea, good luck with it!

Yes, the amazing five year quest to find a formula that is available on wikipedia.

We can probably parlay this into a book deal, and maybe a movie deal also

Office_Shredder said:
Yes, the amazing five year quest to find a formula that is available on wikipedia.

We can probably parlay this into a book deal, and maybe a movie deal also

I think finding a series of feynman diagrams corresponding to that sum would be fun. Feel free to do something else if you disagree :)

The taylor expansion of 1/(2 arcsin(x)) at 1 is an obvious alternative, but probably not easy to compute. There might be some problems concerning the behavior of the function which I have not looked into.

1. What is the significance of a series that sums to 1/pi?

A series that sums to 1/pi is significant because it represents the inverse of the mathematical constant pi, which is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. This series can be used in various calculations and equations involving pi.

2. How is the series that sums to 1/pi derived?

The series that sums to 1/pi is derived using the Maclaurin series expansion for the function 1/(1+x^2). By substituting x=1, the series simplifies to 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + ... which can be rearranged to form the desired series.

3. Can the series that sums to 1/pi be used to calculate the value of pi?

No, the series that sums to 1/pi is an infinite series and therefore can only provide an approximation of pi. To accurately calculate the value of pi, other methods such as the Monte Carlo method or the Chudnovsky algorithm must be used.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the series that sums to 1/pi?

Yes, the series that sums to 1/pi has been used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to solve problems involving circular motion, signal processing, and even in the design of computer algorithms.

5. Is there a limit to how many terms of the series that sums to 1/pi can be calculated?

Yes, since the series is infinite, it is not possible to calculate all the terms. However, the more terms that are calculated, the more accurate the approximation of pi will be. In most cases, calculating up to 10-15 terms is sufficient for practical applications.