Is Digital Image Processing practical outside academia

In summary: The most important topics in an Image Processing Course would likely be image acquisition, image characterization, compression, enhancement, and restoration.
SpaceDomain
I need to take one more course for my EE Bachelors degree in one of three specialized areas: Signal Processing, Controls, or Communications.

I know all three of these are very much related, but I am finding Signal Processing by far the most fascinating field out of the three.

The problem is that my school only offers one real undergrad course in Signal Processing. It is Intro to DSP. I am taking it right now.

So, in order for me to take another course directly related to signal processing I have found three options.

1. I take a graduate Digital Image Processing Course.
2. I take the graduate Digital Signal Processing Course.
3. I take an undergraduate independent study course where I propose a main topic to study all semester and as long as it is approved I just focus on that.So for option 3 I would be advised by my current DSP professor, who is an absolutely excellent professor. He also teaches option 1.

I would just go ahead do option 1, but I am not sure how practical the stuff I am going to learn in that class would be.Here are the course descriptions of 1 and 2:

1. Digital Image Processing:
Digital image processing including image acquisition and characterization, transforms, coding and compression, enhancement, restoration and segmentation. Use of modern image processing software on Sun and IBM work stations.

2: Digital Signal Processing:
Introduction to discrete linear systems; frequency-domain design of digital filters; quantization effects in digital filters; digital filter hardware, discrete Fourier transforms; high-speed convolution and correlation with application to digital filtering; introduction to Walsh-Fourier theory.And here is the description for the Intro to DSP course I am taking right now:
-Introduction to Digital Signal Processing :
Introduction to discrete linear systems using difference equations and z-transforms. Discrete Fourier analysis. Design of digital filters. Sampling theorem. Applications of digital signal processing.
I really want to learn about Filter Banks, Multi-Rate DSP, and the Wavelet Transform.

If I try to do the independent study those are the three topics I am going to suggest that I focus on.

It doesn't look like those topics are covered in the Grad DSP course.

So I would really like to ether do the Image Processing course or the independent study if I am able to focus on those topics.

The Image Processing course would be more structured and I would probably learn the stuff better. But would it be practical for an electrical engineer that most likely won't get a graduate degree?

I know I am rambling, but please anyone, let me know what your thoughts are.

Physics news on Phys.org
A friend of mine did his masters work in physics (astrophysics) analyzing astronomical images and writing software to detect sources in them; he got a job in medical physics doing something similar with MRI machines. So yes, it has other applications.

Are you kidding me? DSP is one of the hottest fields in engineering right now, especially in the defense/government sectors.

fss said:
Are you kidding me? DSP is one of the hottest fields in engineering right now, especially in the defense/government sectors.

I agree, it's got a lot of potential for growth.

fss said:

What are you referring to? The title of the thread?

Sorry, I guess that wasn't the real question I meant. What I meant what are your thoughts on taking either a course on Image Processing, or trying to take a class that focuses on more DSP in general?

That is, for someone who plans on entering industry with only an undergrad degree.

SpaceDomain said:
What I meant what are your thoughts on taking either a course on Image Processing, or trying to take a class that focuses on more DSP in general?

Either one will be interesting. I'd try and take both...

I decided what to do. I am going to try to do the undergrad level independent study course and propose that I just basically go the image processing course as the material.

What are the most important topics in a Image Processing Course? Anyone?

1. What industries or fields use digital image processing outside of academia?

Digital image processing is used in a wide range of industries such as medical imaging, satellite imaging, surveillance and security, manufacturing and quality control, transportation, and entertainment. It is also used in various research fields such as biology, astronomy, and geology.

2. What are the practical applications of digital image processing?

Some practical applications of digital image processing include image enhancement and restoration, object detection and recognition, pattern recognition, image segmentation, and image compression. It is also used for image analysis and measurement, 3D modeling, and image-based guidance and navigation.

3. Can digital image processing improve the accuracy and efficiency of tasks in industries?

Yes, digital image processing techniques can significantly improve the accuracy and efficiency of tasks in various industries. For example, in medical imaging, it can aid in the diagnosis of diseases and detection of abnormalities. In manufacturing, it can be used for quality control and inspection of products. In surveillance and security, it can help in identifying and tracking objects or individuals.

4. How is digital image processing different from traditional image processing methods?

Digital image processing uses computer algorithms and software to manipulate and analyze images, while traditional methods involve manual techniques such as darkroom processing. Digital image processing allows for more precise and complex image manipulation and analysis, as well as faster processing times.

5. Is digital image processing a growing field outside of academia?

Yes, digital image processing is a rapidly growing field outside of academia. With the advancements in technology and the increasing demand for image-based solutions in various industries, the need for experts in this field is also increasing. It offers a promising career with opportunities for research and development in various industries.