Learn Physics: Best Self-Teaching Methods

• Thread starter atypical
  • Start date
In summary, the best way to self-teach physics varies from person to person, but doing lots of problems is essential. For those interested in learning physics beyond problem-solving, reading journal articles can be helpful. For those studying the three fundamental principles, journals on astrophysics may be a good place to start.
atypical
I am trying to teach myself physics. I have been going through the book "physics for scientists and engineers" by serway and jewett and doing all the problems in the back of the book and comparing my answers with the solution manual. I also downloaded all the physics lecture from MIT and Yale. I know a good majority of the people here are much more experienced than I, so i ask, is this the best way to self teach yourself?

Physics news on Phys.org
atypical said:
I also downloaded all the physics lecture from MIT and Yale. I know a good majority of the people here are much more experienced than I, so i ask, is this the best way to self teach yourself?

That's different from person to person, so you'll have to figure out what works for you. Doing a lot of problems is something that is pretty essential, but how you can set things up so that you have the motivation to do lots of problems is different from person to person.

If you really want to learn physics (as opposed to problem solving using physics), what I find useful is to go to a library, open up a journal article and try to make sense of it.

twofish-quant said:
If you really want to learn physics (as opposed to problem solving using physics), what I find useful is to go to a library, open up a journal article and try to make sense of it.

I'm taking Physics I, but I have never read a journal article. I don't even know where to begin...I'm at a large university, so they have a good selection. I'm interested in astrophysics but am studying the three fundamental principles. Could you point me in the right direction as to journals to find?

1. What is the best way to learn physics as a beginner?

The best way to learn physics as a beginner is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This can be achieved by taking an introductory course or using textbooks and online resources that provide a clear explanation of fundamental concepts.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed.

3. Are there any specific study techniques that can help with learning physics?

Some effective study techniques for learning physics include creating flashcards to review key concepts, using mnemonic devices to remember formulas, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and participating in discussions.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to learn physics?

While having a strong math background can certainly be helpful in learning physics, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many introductory physics courses cover the necessary math concepts, and there are also resources available to help improve math skills as needed.

5. Can physics be self-taught?

Yes, physics can be self-taught to a certain extent. While having a teacher or mentor to guide and provide feedback can be beneficial, there are many resources available for self-study such as textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. It is important to stay motivated, disciplined, and seek help when needed.