Find deceleration from distance and initial velocity

In summary, the problem is to find the deceleration of an airplane that has a landing velocity of 100 mi/hr and comes to a stop after traveling 1/4 mile. The solution involves setting up equations for distance, velocity, and acceleration, and then using the quadratic formula to solve for time and ultimately find the deceleration.
physicsnnewbie
I have just started a calculus book, and I can't figure out how to solve this problem:

Homework Statement

The landing velocity of an airplane (i.e., the velocity at which it touches the ground) is 100 mi/hr. It decelerates at a constant rate and comes to a stop after traveling 1/4 mile along a straight landing strip. Find the deceleration or negative acceleration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a = x
v = xt + C
v = xt + 100
s = (x/2)t^2 + 100t + C
1/4 = (x/2)t^2 +100t

I'm not sure what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
solve for t using the quadratic equation formula.

physicsnnewbie said:
I have just started a calculus book, and I can't figure out how to solve this problem:

Homework Statement

The landing velocity of an airplane (i.e., the velocity at which it touches the ground) is 100 mi/hr. It decelerates at a constant rate and comes to a stop after traveling 1/4 mile along a straight landing strip. Find the deceleration or negative acceleration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a = x
v = xt + C
v = xt + 100
s = (x/2)t^2 + 100t + C
1/4 = (x/2)t^2 +100t

I'm not sure what to do next.
In addition to 1/4= (x/2)t^2+ 100t, which says that the airplane moved 1/4 mile in t hours, you have xt+ 100= 0 since the airplane came to a stop (has speed 0) in that time.
From xt= -100, x= -100/t.

Replace x in 1/4= (x/2)t^2+ 100t with that and solve the resulting linear equation for t. Once, you have t, you can solve for x from x= -100/t.

Thanks Ivy, don't know why I didn't think of that.

1. How do you calculate deceleration from distance and initial velocity?

The equation for calculating deceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the deceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. Rearranging this equation, we can calculate deceleration using the formula: a = (2d - vi * t) / t^2, where d is the distance traveled.

2. Can you explain the concept of deceleration?

Deceleration is the rate at which an object slows down. It is the opposite of acceleration and is caused by a force acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion. For example, when a car brakes, it experiences deceleration as the brakes apply a force in the opposite direction of the car's motion, causing it to slow down.

3. What is the unit of measurement for deceleration?

The unit of measurement for deceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). This unit is equivalent to the unit for acceleration, as deceleration is just negative acceleration.

4. How does initial velocity affect deceleration?

The initial velocity of an object affects its deceleration because it determines how fast the object is moving before deceleration begins. The higher the initial velocity, the greater the force required to slow down the object, resulting in a higher deceleration value.

5. Can you find deceleration without knowing the initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible to find deceleration without knowing the initial velocity. This can be done by using the equation a = vf^2 / 2d, where a is the deceleration, vf is the final velocity, and d is the distance traveled. This equation only requires the final velocity and distance, making it useful in situations where the initial velocity is unknown.