GRE Math Subject Test- which books ?

In summary, the conversation is about the GRE Math Subject Test and the individual's plan to take it in order to improve their admission chances for financial engineering programs. They are unsure if they can complete the test on their own and are seeking advice on which books to use for preparation. The conversation also discusses the difficulty of the test and the individual's previous coursework in relation to the topics covered.
Roni1985
Hello,I'm sure this topic has been discussed in the past, but I couldn't search the forum with the word "GRE". Here is my story, I don't even know if I want or am going to take the GRE Math Subject test. The thing is that I applied to a few top financial engineering programs and I was either waitlisted (Cornell) or redirected to another program within the school ( Columbia MSFE redirected me to the MSOR). Therefore, I'm assuming that I'm somewhere on the boarder and improving my application by a little should help me get admission. I still have pending applications, but I've lost faith :\

So, I think the GRE Math Subject Test will be a VERY good improvement.
I majored in finance but took a bunch of math courses for the MFE program (All A's if it matters). Now, I missed many topics that are not needed for the MFE but appear on the GRE math. I'm not familiar with the following: Abstract Algebra, Topology, Graph Theory(not sure this one appears on the test), Group Theory, Intro Real Analysis, Complex Variables, I took Numerical Analysis but what kind of question can be asked with no programming ?

Obviously, I need to review linear algebra, calculus, diff equations, stats and probability.

I want to study for 2-4 months (mostly after work and during weekends) and take it in November (they have in April and in November only, right ?)

First, is it really feasible for me to complete it by November ? Can I do it on my own?
Another option is to take another 4-5 math courses, but I don't really want to spend more money on college credits :|

NOW, my main question is this, which books are best for each topic (even for those that I need to review). And, I'm assuming the topics in the "Additional" part don't really require all chapters in each book, would appreciate if you mentioned how much to study for each topic. And, which books are good for practice questions style the GRE ? I heard the old Cracking the GRE Math Subject test is a good one. Should I get one of the old editions or the newest edition ?

Sorry for the long post and thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have not taken a single course in abstract algebra before, then I don't know how far you will succeed in the test. Abstract Algebra, Topology, Real Analysis, Discrete Math, Number Theory are the topics you seemed to have missed, which leaves only Calculus, Linear Algebra, Diff Eqn., (assuming you have taken probability & Statistics). You could definitely try and give your best shot, but I won't be surprised if you fail to achieve what you really wanted to achieve.

Regarding the books (especially for PhD FE) I read somewhere that "Cracking the GRE Subject Test in Mathematics, Steve" is a good read, but I don't know any books for preparing for actual GRE exam.

Good luck!

doodle_sack said:
If you have not taken a single course in abstract algebra before, then I don't know how far you will succeed in the test. Abstract Algebra, Topology, Real Analysis, Discrete Math, Number Theory are the topics you seemed to have missed, which leaves only Calculus, Linear Algebra, Diff Eqn., (assuming you have taken probability & Statistics). You could definitely try and give your best shot, but I won't be surprised if you fail to achieve what you really wanted to achieve.

Regarding the books (especially for PhD FE) I read somewhere that "Cracking the GRE Subject Test in Mathematics, Steve" is a good read, but I don't know any books for preparing for actual GRE exam.

Good luck!

I'm targeting at 75% or better. And you are right, I took the regular calc sequence, ODEs, PDEs, Linear Algebra, Probability, Statistics, Stochastic Process (not in the exam), Math Finance (not in the exam either), Numerical Analysis (not sure if the one that's required for the exam), but missed all the rest.
So you think it's impossible for me to complete them all on my own even if I get a bunch of books to cover all the topics?

And if "Cracking the GRE Subject Test in Mathematics" is not going to prepare one for the exam, where can you get questions that are similar on the real GRE Math Subject exam ?
I'm assuming the regular books have questions but not this type that are good for the exam.

Thanks for your help.

I am sorry, that book I mentioned is for preparing for actual GRE exam but someone made a special mention about it for guys who want to do FE PhD.

Roni1985 said:
So you think it's impossible for me to complete them all on my own even if I get a bunch of books to cover all the topics?

I can't answer that question. Let's see, the ETS' GRE practice book says the topics covered will be this: Abstract algebra and number theory: elementary topics from group theory, theory of rings and modules, fi eld theory, and number theory.

Introductory real analysis: sequences and series of numbers and functions, continuity, differentiability and integrability, and elementary topology of R & R^n.

Discrete mathematics: logic, set theory, combinatorics, graph theory, and algorithms.

Other topics: general topology, geometry, complex variables, probability and statistics, and numerical analysis.

Realistically, for the Algebra part alone guys who studied it for 1.5 - 2 years find it hard to ace it. Regarding Real Analysis, it's bit harder than Abstract Algebra and this is just 2 topics. Now, you have to decide whether you can go for it or not.

All these are generally speaking, but if you are super intelligent person, that's another story entirely.

I have no idea how useful or relevant this will be to you, but about 25 years ago I took the GRE subject test in Computer Sci because I wanted to get into Stanford. I hadn't taken a LOT of the subjects that were covered, but it turned out that most of the questions were general, and only a few were so specialized that you didn't even know where to start if you hadn't taken that subject. I think I ended up getting a 95 or something. Didn't get into Stanford, but I got into Berkeley!

brocks said:
I have no idea how useful or relevant this will be to you, but about 25 years ago I took the GRE subject test in Computer Sci because I wanted to get into Stanford. I hadn't taken a LOT of the subjects that were covered, but it turned out that most of the questions were general, and only a few were so specialized that you didn't even know where to start if you hadn't taken that subject. I think I ended up getting a 95 or something. Didn't get into Stanford, but I got into Berkeley!

That doesn't really help since the math GRE was made a lot harder in 2001 since too many math students were acing it and colleges couldn't differentiate between good and exceptional students. It is now widely believed that the math GRE is the hardest GRE test out there.

brocks said:

That's really impressive, nontheless!

To the OP: If you can spend the registration amount I see no harm in giving it a try. Keep the "realistic" thing aside and go for it if you believe it will improve your profile.

P.S: If it is legal to exchange emails in pvt msg then send me a pvt msg!

What is the GRE Math Subject Test?

The GRE Math Subject Test is a standardized exam that measures a student's knowledge and understanding of advanced mathematics topics. It is often required for admission into graduate programs in mathematics or related fields.

Do I need to take the GRE Math Subject Test?

This depends on the specific requirements of the graduate programs you are applying to. Some programs may require or recommend the GRE Math Subject Test, while others may not. It is important to research the admission requirements of your desired programs to determine if the test is necessary.

What books are recommended for studying for the GRE Math Subject Test?

Some popular books for studying for the GRE Math Subject Test include "The Official Guide to the GRE Mathematics Subject Test" by Educational Testing Service (ETS), "Cracking the GRE Mathematics Subject Test" by The Princeton Review, and "Barron's GRE Math Workbook" by David Freeling. However, it is important to choose a book that aligns with your specific needs and study style.

How should I prepare for the GRE Math Subject Test?

Preparing for the GRE Math Subject Test requires a thorough understanding of the advanced mathematics concepts covered on the exam. It is recommended to review your undergraduate math coursework, use study materials such as practice tests and review books, and seek guidance from a tutor or study group if needed.

What is a good score on the GRE Math Subject Test?

The scoring for the GRE Math Subject Test ranges from 200-990, with the average score being around 700. A good score will depend on the specific graduate programs you are applying to and their average scores for admitted students. It is important to research the average scores of your desired programs to determine what score you should aim for.