DIY Eyepiece HUD: Plausibility, Materials, and Possibilities

• Optical
  • Thread starter jgeating
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy
In summary, the author is considering creating an eyepiece HUD using a reflective piece of curved glass/plastic, a camera, and a viewfinder/mini-screen. They are concerned about the brightness of the image and the difficulty of keeping the image in focus.
jgeating
I'm am looking at the plausibility to make/hack an eyepiece HUD out of a reflective piece of curved glass/plastic, a camera, and a viewfinder/mini-screen.

It would be nice for it to all mount to either a modest sized helmet or a tight head strap. I remember having an old '90s video game that you would tie around your head with the LCD screen facing down, and there was a piece of plastic that would reflect the screen into your eye. I would like to mimic something similar, where a viewfinder or other small, lightweight screen is reflected into my one eye, but both eyes can still see my surroundings. Once calibrated with a camera, for example, I could do any sort of computer vision and display it on the HUD.

With this base, the possibilities are endless, ranging from avionics (e.g. add some gyros, accels for orienting the HUD) to paintball/airsoft (gps mapping).

Does anyone have any experience in relation to a good material for the reflective piece, any ideas about what viewfinder to use. Also, if this is even plausible in terms of optics and the nature of human vision. I think it would be awesome to eventually use this to control an aeroquad realtime while on the move.

Physics news on Phys.org
One issue would be keeping the brightness of the image comparable with the real world. Perhaps it would need a light sensor to adjust either the screen's brightness or the transparency of the reflector (like an auto-darkening welding helmet). I suspect having a darkening reflector may be needed to keep the backlight's brightness realistic.

For selecting a screen, I'd start with some optics diagrams and calculations to determine how big it should be with practical lenses to make it appear at infinity. It might also need to be focusable for use at close range if you don't want to refocus your eyes to read it.

Also work out the required brightness (measured in nits) so it can compete with the sunlit scenery. There's a whole painful world of light calculations you can use to work this out.

Thanks for the insightful response. I'm not quite as worried about the brightness as much as I'm worried about the focusing. For brightness, I think I might use a light dependent resistor, possibly with shields so it only accepts light from frontwards.

Can you expound a little more on the focusing. Ideally, I would like for this to seamlessly overlay the user's vision, and always remain in focus.

jgeating said:
Thanks for the insightful response. I'm not quite as worried about the brightness
It could certainly be an issue. You can't easily read a computer screen outside. So you would need something emitting more light than that and condensend into a smaller area to fit on your head. Or just dark glasses.

Can you expound a little more on the focusing. Ideally, I would like for this to seamlessly overlay the user's vision, and always remain in focus.

That's asking the impossible, unless you can detect the distance the user is focussing on. For outdoors you can probably assume they're look at infinity or pretty close, and put the image at the hyperfocal distance based on the eye's and screen's resolutions.

I don't know how the lenses would actually work. I guess you can draw ray diagrams to get a feel for it. Ignore the reflecting sheet at first because it won't affect the distances, just change direction.

I find the concept of a DIY eyepiece HUD intriguing and potentially feasible. The use of a curved reflective piece of glass or plastic to project a viewfinder or mini-screen into one eye while still allowing for peripheral vision is a clever approach. However, there are some considerations to keep in mind when attempting to create such a device.

Firstly, the choice of materials for the reflective piece is crucial. The material needs to be able to reflect the image from the viewfinder or mini-screen clearly and without distortion. It should also be durable and able to withstand any potential impacts or vibrations. Materials such as acrylic or polycarbonate could be suitable options, but further testing and experimentation would be necessary.

In terms of the viewfinder or mini-screen, it would be important to choose one that is lightweight and compact, as well as compatible with the reflective piece material. The screen should also have high resolution and brightness to ensure a clear and visible image. It may also be necessary to incorporate some form of anti-glare technology to prevent any distractions or discomfort for the user.

From an optical perspective, it is plausible to create a HUD that projects an image into one eye while still allowing for peripheral vision. However, careful calibration would be necessary to ensure that the projected image is aligned with the user's line of sight. This could be achieved through the use of sensors, such as gyros and accelerometers, as mentioned in the post.

The potential applications for such a device are indeed endless, ranging from avionics to recreational activities. However, it is important to keep in mind that any modifications to a device, especially one that will be worn on the head, should be done with caution and proper safety measures in place. Overall, the concept of a DIY eyepiece HUD shows promise and could be a fun and innovative project to explore further.

1. Is a DIY eyepiece HUD a feasible project for someone without engineering experience?

Yes, a DIY eyepiece HUD can be a feasible project for someone without engineering experience. There are many tutorials and step-by-step guides available online that can help individuals create their own HUD using basic tools and materials.

2. What materials are needed to create a DIY eyepiece HUD?

The materials needed for a DIY eyepiece HUD may vary depending on the design and functionality desired, but generally, you will need a microdisplay or a small screen, a transparent material for the eyepiece, a power source, a microcontroller, and various electronic components such as resistors and capacitors.

3. How does a DIY eyepiece HUD work?

A DIY eyepiece HUD works by projecting an image onto a transparent material, such as a piece of glass or plastic, which is then reflected into the user's eye. This image is typically generated by a microcontroller and displayed on a small screen, creating a virtual display in front of the user's eye.

4. What are the potential uses for a DIY eyepiece HUD?

A DIY eyepiece HUD can have a wide range of uses, including displaying information in a hands-free manner, providing navigation assistance, enhancing gaming experiences, and even aiding in medical procedures. The possibilities are endless, and it all depends on the individual's creativity and needs.

5. Can a DIY eyepiece HUD be used for AR or VR applications?

Yes, a DIY eyepiece HUD can be used for AR (Augmented Reality) and VR (Virtual Reality) applications. By projecting images onto a transparent material, the HUD can create an immersive experience for the user, similar to commercially available AR and VR headsets.