Radiation Rainwater claims

• Thread starter Galteeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the blogger is suggesting that high levels of radioactive iodine in rainwater of some US cities is a consequence of the Japan disaster. The data itself appears to be legit, though I am skeptical of his interpretations.
Galteeth
This link was found on a political site I frequent. The blogger has posted a screenshot of an EPA database search showing high levels of radioactive iodine in rainwater of some US cities. he is suggesting this is a consequence of the Japan disaster. The data itself appears to be legit, though I am skeptical of his interpretations. For one, he is comparing EPA standards for drinking water to rainwater. Two, though many of the listings are from this year, a large number seems to be from 2004 (which "begs" the questions ((using that in the colloquial sense, not the rhetorical sense)) what happened in 2004?). Nevertheless, these levels from a laymen's point of view seem to be quite high. Thinking skeptically, it would seem that this should be bigger news. Can anyone shed some light on this and put this data in context? Thanks.

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2011/04/23/japan-nuclear-radiation-rainwater-update-idaho-iodine-levels-14066-epa-limit-19907/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As someone on the JREF forums pointed out, the entries are actually all from 2011, just ordered differently.

Galteeth said:
The data itself appears to be legit...
On what do you base that? All I see is a spreadsheet.

Links to credible data on airborne iodine-131 n the UK are here:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/NewsCentre/NationalPressReleases/2011PressReleases/

I don't know what the official UK "safe level" is, but these numbers are stated to be below it.

The press tried to turn this into a scare story about data "not being released for 72 hours", and "a row between the Scottish and UK health protection agencies". Yawn...

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
On what do you base that? All I see is a spreadsheet.

you can go to the EPA site and search

Galteeth said:
you can go to the EPA site and search
Did you?

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/docs/rert/RadNet-Precipitation-Data-Public-Release-FINAL.pdf

"Elevated levels of radioactive material in rainwater have been expected as a result of the nuclear incident after the events in Japan since radiation is known to travel in the atmosphere - precipitation data collected in several states show elevated levels of radiation in recent precipitation events. In all cases these are levels above the normal background levels historically reported in these areas."

What is "Radiation Rainwater"?

Radiation rainwater refers to rainwater that has been contaminated by radioactive particles, typically from nuclear accidents or fallout from nuclear tests. It is also known as "nuclear rain".

Is "Radiation Rainwater" safe to consume?

No, radiation rainwater is not safe to consume. It can contain harmful levels of radiation that can be harmful to human health. It is important to avoid consuming or using radiation rainwater for any purpose.

How does "Radiation Rainwater" affect the environment?

Radiation rainwater can have a significant impact on the environment. It can contaminate soil and water sources, which can affect plant and animal life in the area. It can also have long-term effects on the ecosystem and disrupt the natural balance.

What are the potential health risks of exposure to "Radiation Rainwater"?

Exposure to radiation rainwater can lead to various health risks, including radiation sickness, cancer, and genetic mutations. The severity of these risks depends on the level of exposure and duration.

How can one protect themselves from "Radiation Rainwater" exposure?

The best way to protect oneself from radiation rainwater exposure is to avoid contact with it. If you live in an area that has been affected by radiation rainwater, it is important to follow any evacuation or safety protocols set by authorities. Additionally, wearing protective gear, such as gloves and masks, can help reduce the risk of exposure.