For the discovery of asymptotic freedom

• Thread starter arivero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discovery
In summary, the Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded in 2004 for the discovery of asymptotic freedom in quantum chromodynamics. The recipients, David Gross, David Politzer, and Frank Wilczek, were recognized for their contributions in understanding the strong nuclear force and its behavior at high energies. This discovery has led to significant advancements in the field of particle physics and has opened up new avenues for research. The Nobel committee's decision was met with some controversy, as there are debates over which individuals should have been included in the recognition. However, the awardees have given insightful interviews, including Wilczek's advice to "think for yourself."
arivero
Gold Member
"for the discovery of asymptotic freedom"

http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/2004/index.html

LM pointed it out this morning in sps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, all I have to say is that the Nobel committee is going to have egg all over their face when it is finally realized that the force holding the nucleus together is really gravity. :biggrin:

Tom Mattson said:
Well, all I have to say is that the Nobel committee is going to have egg all over their face when it is finally realized that the force holding the nucleus together is really gravity. :biggrin:

Hahahahhaha!

You are so naughty. Maybe that's why I like you! :)

Zz.

Tom Mattson said:

I am sure Andrew will agree on this one... :biggrin:

I always knew that asymptotic freedom was worth a lot of money :tongue2:

marlon

Carlo Rovelli will win the next Nobel price for LQG...

marlon...
wanna bet on this one ?

I bet you are wrong :tongue2:
Let us bet Carlo's book ok :biggrin:

I would like an opinion : how come Bjorken never had the prize for scaling, but Friedman Kendal and Taylor did because they experimentally checked his conjecture ? Bjorken had the idea, they only verified it !

Speaking of prize-winners, Martinus Veltman has just accepted a position at Ohio State. Hope he stays. I hear he's not very popular among the high energy circles ...

arivero said:
http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/2004/index.html

LM pointed it out this morning in sps.

Here are the real time 'live' interviews given by:

http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/2004/wilczek-interview.html

http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/2004/gross-interview.html

but not one for Politzer?

Great Wilczek Quote from the interview : Think for yourself!

Long time coming.

1. What is asymptotic freedom?

Asymptotic freedom is a concept in quantum field theory that describes how the strength of the strong nuclear force between quarks decreases at high energies or short distances.

2. Who discovered asymptotic freedom?

Asymptotic freedom was discovered by physicists David Gross, Frank Wilczek, and David Politzer in 1973. They were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2004 for this discovery.

3. How does asymptotic freedom affect the behavior of quarks?

Asymptotic freedom allows quarks to behave as if they are almost free particles at high energies or short distances. This means that they can move independently and the strong force between them weakens, allowing them to be studied individually.

4. Why is the discovery of asymptotic freedom significant?

The discovery of asymptotic freedom revolutionized our understanding of the strong nuclear force and the behavior of subatomic particles. It also provided a crucial piece of evidence for the theory of quantum chromodynamics, which is the current model for the strong force.

5. How has asymptotic freedom been confirmed through experiments?

Asymptotic freedom has been confirmed through various experiments, including deep inelastic scattering experiments at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center and the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). These experiments have shown that the strength of the strong force decreases at high energies, as predicted by asymptotic freedom.