Gradient, unit normal in vector calculus

In summary, the gradient of the surface at (-1,-1,2) is 3i-12j+4k. The unit normal is 3i-12j+4k, which is in the direction of the unit normal along which max. rate of increase occurs.
msslowlearner

Homework Statement

there is a surface xy3z2=4. What is the unit normal to this surface at a pt in the surface (-1,-1,2)??

Homework Equations

what is a unit normal to a scalar region? how can it be calculated?

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated the gradient (del operator) of this surface at the given point to be 3i-12j+4k . this is in the direction of the unit normal along which max. rate of increase occurs. So far so good. But how dowe get the unit normal from this ? i don't know how to go further.

Physics news on Phys.org
here, all points in the surface has a constant value =4, irrespective of the location of the points in the surface. does this have something to do with the calculation of the unit normal? it does sound absurd..but I'm equally blank..so just throwing all that's on my mind.

by the way, I'm writing down the gradient of the surface as i calculated it, so that any mistakes I've made can be corrected too.
[itex]\nablaS[/itex] = y3z2i+3xy2z2j+2xy3zk.
now,[itex]\nablaS[/itex] at the point (-1,-1,2) = 3i-12j+4k

the unit normal as i got is 3i-12j+4k
-----------------------------

but my textbook says it is (-1/rt 11, -3/rt 11, 1/rt 11)
i've no idea how to arrive at this one .. any help is appreciated

There's a theorem that says whenever you have a surface defined by f(x,y,z) = c, where c is a constant, the normal to the surface is given by grad f. This is exactly the case you have here, so taking the gradient will indeed give you the normal.

The reason you're not getting the right answer is that you simply calculated the numbers wrong. The x-component, for example, should be (-1)322=-4, not 3. (I didn't check the rest.)

Hi msslowlearner! :smile:

When I calculate your gradient I get a different result.
Your gradient formula is correct, but filling in (-1, -1, 2) should give a different result.

Furthermore, your problem statement asks for a unit normal.
This means your vector should have length 1.

I like Serena said:
Hi msslowlearner! :smile:

Furthermore, your problem statement asks for a unit normal.
This means your vector should have length 1.

i don't think it should have length 1. its the vector/mod vector, which is not 1. its the smallest multipliable unit of the vector, when multipled by the length of the vector gives the actual vector .

yes, the x-component was wrong. now, i get the gradient as -4i -12j +4k
whose magnitude is sqrt(176). if the unit normal vector is supposed to be (gradient/magnitude of gradient), i still am not arrivng at the answer !

hang on hang on ! i got it .. simple math.. sqrt(176) = 4*sqrt(11). sorry guys.. my mistake.. thanks for the help :)

msslowlearner said:
i don't think it should have length 1. its the vector/mod vector, which is not 1. its the smallest multipliable unit of the vector, when multipled by the length of the vector gives the actual vector .

Huh? :confused:
I don't understand you. Could you elaborate?

Note that your textbook says: (-1/rt 11, -3/rt 11, 1/rt 11)
This should be read as:
[tex](\frac {-1} {\sqrt {11}}, \frac {-3} {\sqrt {11}}, \frac {1} {\sqrt {11}})[/tex]

the magnitude of my vector was 4*rt(11). when i multiply my unit vector with the magnitude, i get my vector again = -4i -12j +4k :)
the terms i used to explain may have been obscure,but what i intended to say was tat the unit vector here has a length which is not equal to 1, but it is still a unit vector for a given vector.

I'm sorry to say, that what you say is still obscure.
A unit vector is defined to be a vector of length 1.
To obtain a unit vector from a vector it needs to be divided by its length.

somehow, i don't get it .. i still think it need not be necessarily 1. but since ur a PF contributor, what you say should be right ..i'm just a beginner .. i'll look my concepts again.. thanks for the help :)

You mean the normal vector you first calculated, (-4, -12, 4), isn't length 1. By dividing it by its magnitude, you get the unit normal, (-1/√11, -3/√11, 1/√11), which is length 1. As ILS noted earlier, that's why it's called the unit normal.

i'm sorry people .. i see it now .. unit normal vector has a length 1 ... personal apologies to "i like serena" .. i kinda questioned ur intelligence.. sorry ... sometimes i miss out the so obvious tiny little things tat matter the most .. sorry guys

1. What is a gradient in vector calculus?

A gradient in vector calculus is a mathematical operation that gives us the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase of a function at a given point. It is represented by a vector with components in the direction of the greatest rate of change.

2. How is the gradient calculated?

The gradient is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a multivariable function with respect to each independent variable. This results in a vector with components equal to the partial derivatives of the function.

3. What is the significance of the gradient?

The gradient is significant because it allows us to determine the direction of the greatest change in a function at a given point. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems and understanding the behavior of a system.

4. What is a unit normal in vector calculus?

A unit normal in vector calculus is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface at a given point. It has a magnitude of 1 and points away from the surface, indicating the direction in which the surface is facing.

5. How is the unit normal related to the gradient?

The unit normal is related to the gradient through the concept of directional derivatives. The directional derivative in the direction of the unit normal is equal to the dot product of the gradient and the unit normal. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of surfaces and their orientations.