Prove this is greater than or equal to 8

• Thread starter Chinnu
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to show that if a, b, c > 0 and a + b + c = 1, then the expression (\frac{1}{a}-1)(\frac{1}{b}-1)(\frac{1}{c}-1) \geq 8. Two possible approaches to solving this problem are using Lagrange multipliers or considering the problem geometrically.
Chinnu

Homework Statement

Show that, if a, b, c >0 and a+b+c = 1, then,

([itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex]-1)([itex]\frac{1}{b}[/itex]-1)([itex]\frac{1}{c}[/itex]-1) [itex]\geq[/itex] 8

Homework Equations

The usual math is ok

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied them out to get:

([itex]\frac{1}{abc}-\frac{1}{ac}-\frac{1}{bc}+\frac{1}{c}-\frac{1}{ab}+\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}[/itex]-1)

= ([itex]\frac{1}{abc}-\frac{b}{abc}-\frac{a}{abc}+\frac{ab}{abc}-\frac{c}{abc}+\frac{bc}{abc}+\frac{ac}{abc}[/itex]-1)

= ([itex]\frac{1-b-a+ab-c+bc+ac-abc}{abc}[/itex])

= ([itex]\frac{ab+bc+ac}{abc}[/itex]) = ([itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}[/itex]), ...as 1-(a+b+c) = 0

abc is a small number as a,b,c are all less than 1, and it is and order smaller than
anything in the numerator. OR, since a, b, c < 1,
([itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}[/itex]) > 3

Now I don't know what to do. I'm not even sure I'm on the right track...
There may be some other logic I should be using to make this easier, but I don't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chinnu said:

Homework Statement

Show that, if a, b, c >0 and a+b+c = 1, then,

([itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex]-1)([itex]\frac{1}{b}[/itex]-1)([itex]\frac{1}{c}[/itex]-1) [itex]\geq[/itex] 8

Homework Equations

The usual math is ok

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied them out to get:

([itex]\frac{1}{abc}-\frac{1}{ac}-\frac{1}{bc}+\frac{1}{c}-\frac{1}{ab}+\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}[/itex]-1)

= ([itex]\frac{1}{abc}-\frac{b}{abc}-\frac{a}{abc}+\frac{ab}{abc}-\frac{c}{abc}+\frac{bc}{abc}+\frac{ac}{abc}[/itex]-1)

= ([itex]\frac{1-b-a+ab-c+bc+ac-abc}{abc}[/itex])

= ([itex]\frac{ab+bc+ac}{abc}[/itex]) = ([itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}[/itex]), ...as 1-(a+b+c) = 0

abc is a small number as a,b,c are all less than 1, and it is and order smaller than
anything in the numerator. OR, since a, b, c < 1,
According to what you wrote, a + b + c = 1. You haven't used this fact. If you do, you can get an expression that doesn't involve c.
Chinnu said:
([itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}[/itex]) > 3

Now I don't know what to do. I'm not even sure I'm on the right track...
There may be some other logic I should be using to make this easier, but I don't see it.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
According to what you wrote, a + b + c = 1. You haven't used this fact. If you do, you can get an expression that doesn't involve c.

so, use c = 1 - a - b, substitute that into the first equation, and see what happens?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I had in mind, yes.

I tried that, and was able to factor things a lot, but I wasn't able to show that the expression on the left is >= 8.

Where you might go next is to consider w = f(x, y) = (1/x - 1)(1/y - 1)( (x + y)/(1 -x - y)). Use calculus to show that there is a global minimum, and that the minimum value is 8.

Mark44 said:
That's what I had in mind, yes.

I tried that, and was able to factor things a lot, but I wasn't able to show that the expression on the left is >= 8.

Where you might go next is to consider w = f(x, y) = (1/x - 1)(1/y - 1)( (x + y)/(1 -x - y)). Use calculus to show that there is a global minimum, and that the minimum value is 8.

I will try this. Also, would it be possible to see if:

[itex](\frac{1}{a}-1)[/itex] [itex]\geq[/itex] 2,

as, if this is done, without loss of generality, it would apply to each, and 2x2x2 [itex]\geq[/itex] 8

Chinnu said:
I will try this. Also, would it be possible to see if:

[itex](\frac{1}{a}-1)[/itex] [itex]\geq[/itex] 2,

as, if this is done, without loss of generality, it would apply to each, and 2x2x2 [itex]\geq[/itex] 8
The inequality above is true for 0 < x <= 1/3.

I can't judge from your title or first post what level of analysis you have had already. So I'll propose a couple of things:

-- the straightforward one if you've had multivariate calculus is to use Lagrange multipliers, since you have a function and a constraint equation in three variables; you will be able to show easily that the critical point occurs where a = b = c ; you would then reduce the function to one with two variables and use the Second Partial Derivative Test to show that the value 8 is a minimum [the Test with three variable is messier]; this is, I believe, essentially what Mark44 is suggesting

-- a non-calculus approach would be to consider that a + b + c = 1 in the first octant is an equilateral triangular region, the portion of the plane bounded by the coordinate planes; the product in question is plainly infinite at the edges of the triangle, so the interior must contain a minimum for the product; the three-fold symmetry of the region suggests that the "special point" lies where a = b = c = 1/3 ; that gives the "right number" for the product, but what is the behavior of the function?; fix one variable and shift one of the others by a small amount, which automatically shifts the remaining variable; show that any deviation from the special point must give a larger product

1. What does it mean to "prove this is greater than or equal to 8"?

To prove that a number is greater than or equal to 8 means to provide evidence or a logical argument showing that the value is at least 8 or higher.

2. How can I prove that a number is greater than or equal to 8?

There are several methods for proving that a number is greater than or equal to 8. One approach is to use mathematical operations, such as addition or multiplication, to show that the value is equal to or greater than 8. Another method is to use the properties of inequalities, such as the transitive property, to demonstrate that the number is greater than or equal to 8.

3. Are there any exceptions to proving a number is greater than or equal to 8?

In most cases, numbers can be proven to be greater than or equal to 8 using mathematical or logical methods. However, there may be special cases where this is not possible, such as when dealing with imaginary or complex numbers.

4. Why is it important to prove that a number is greater than or equal to 8?

Proving that a number is greater than or equal to 8 is important because it allows us to make accurate statements and predictions about the value. It also helps to establish the magnitude or significance of the number in relation to other values.

5. Can a number be both greater than and equal to 8?

No, a number cannot be both greater than and equal to 8. If a number is equal to 8, then it is not greater than 8. However, a number can be greater than or equal to 8, which means it is either equal to 8 or higher.