What does it take to work at ITER?

• Thread starter Fusiontron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iter Work
In summary, I think someone with experience and expertise in a relevant field would be a good fit for ITER.
Fusiontron
I've seen their job listings website. But really what are the intangibles that would help someone work at this magnificant place?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Develop and maintain excellent and ongoing relations and if possible ongoing collaborations back home and outside interests for a path back when the project stalls/has crises/funding runs out/political disagreement/promotion blocked/your post has to be given to another nationality and even, it is within the bounds of possibility, the project succeeds on which case it will be closed. Aim for your experience there to be in technology of science with applications that are in demand widely, not limited to that project. Read up the story of JET and start thinking about your retirement or recycling.

Last edited:
Will ITER even work?

navynuclear said:
Will ITER even work?

How could we possibly know that yet?

Fusiontron said:
I've seen their job listings website. But really what are the intangibles that would help someone work at this magnificant place?

My answer.. Get a Ph.D in High Energy Physics, do post doc research lecture some snot nosed kids, get published in some fancy physics journal, then maybe if the janitor suddenly drops dead. You can work at ITER.

To translate my answer, if you don't want to be the research lead then I don't see what any person with expertise and experience in a relevant field couldn't find a place there. Assuming the you are a citizen of a country that contributes to the project. French and Swiss nationals may be more employable.

Sounds reasonable. I know a couple guys who do indirect consulting work for ITER. As in, a couple really streched connections. Do you feel someone with expertise in MHD Theory would be a good fit? That seems to be the direction I'm going for when I apply for grad school.

One does not need a degree in high energy physics, because fusion takes place at relatively low energies (keV) range. The fusion reaction does produced particles with kinetic energies in the MeV range.

Plasma physics (including MHD) is one area of the technology. So are condensed matter physics, E&M, power conversion & electronics, computer science, . . . .

Astronuc said:
One does not need a degree in high energy physics, because fusion takes place at relatively low energies (keV) range. The fusion reaction does produced particles with kinetic energies in the MeV range.

Plasma physics (including MHD) is one area of the technology. So are condensed matter physics, E&M, power conversion & electronics, computer science, . . . .

I'm a dummy, I was thinking CERN not ITER. My foot tastes great.

Last edited:

What does it take to work at ITER?

Working at ITER requires a combination of specialized skills, qualifications, and personal qualities. It is a highly complex and technical project, so having relevant education and experience in the fields of physics, engineering, and/or project management is essential. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills, as well as a dedication to safety and quality, are also important.

What is the hiring process like at ITER?

The hiring process at ITER typically involves multiple stages, including an initial application, interviews, and possibly assessments or tests. The specific process may vary depending on the position and department, but all candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications, experience, and fit for the organization.

Are there any language requirements for working at ITER?

As an international project, fluency in English is a requirement for most positions at ITER. Some positions may also require knowledge of French and/or other languages, depending on the specific job duties and location.

What opportunities for career growth are available at ITER?

Working at ITER provides a unique opportunity for professional growth and development. Employees have the chance to work on cutting-edge technology and collaborate with experts from around the world. There are also opportunities for training, career advancement, and international mobility within the ITER organization.

What is the work culture like at ITER?

The work culture at ITER is dynamic and diverse, with employees from over 35 different countries. Collaboration, innovation, and safety are key values that guide the organization's operations. The work environment is highly international, with a strong focus on teamwork, communication, and cultural exchange.