Understanding Percentage Growth in Price Changes

• Thread starter xeon123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about understanding how to calculate percentage changes in price. The person was trying to apply a formula they learned to a new problem, but was getting confused by the different percentage values. After receiving an explanation, they now understand that the denominator should represent the starting price and the difference in the numerator will give the correct percentage change. The conversation also clarified why the percentage increase and decrease may be different numbers.
xeon123
I'm trying to understand this problem.

If a lollipop costed $6 and now it costs $8, how much percent the price grow?

I think the answer is ((8-6)/8)*100=25%

So I'm trying to apply this solution to the new problem. If a lollipop costed $1, and now it costs $2, how much percent the price grow?
((2-1)/2)*100=50%, but it should be 100%.

Can anyone help me with this problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you already know the answer: what must be in the denominator in order that your second example gives you 100%?

RGV

In the denominator should be 1. But in the first equation it should be 8. This is the part that I don't get it. I'm putting in the denominator the current price.

I understand what you are doing. I don't understand *why* you are doing it differently in the two examples.

RGV

The denominator should have the price we're calculating the percent increase/decrease for.

For your two examples, the starting prices were $6 and $1, respectively, so those are the numbers you need to use in the denominator.

On the other hand, if the price of something goes down from from $10 to $8, then the percent decrease is (10 - 8)/10 * 100 = 20 %.

If the price happened to go back up by $2, then the percent increase would be (10 - 8)/8 * 100 = 25%. The reason we're getting a different number is we're using a different base or starting point.

I wasn't understanding the problem because I got different percentage values. In the example of Mark44 the same price decreased 20% to pass from $10 to $8, and the increased 25% to pass from $8 to $10. Projecting my question with Mark 44 explanation, my confusion was in the different percentage values. I was thinking why a price decreases 20%, and it has to increase 25%, and not 20%, to get to the initial value? Now, I understand.

[itex]\frac{new-old}{old}[/itex](100)

xeon123 said:
I wasn't understanding the problem because I got different percentage values. In the example of Mark44 the same price decreased 20% to pass from $10 to $8, and the increased 25% to pass from $8 to $10. Projecting my question with Mark 44 explanation, my confusion was in the different percentage values. I was thinking why a price decreases 20%, and it has to increase 25%, and not 20%, to get to the initial value?

Because the amount you're multiplying the percent by is smaller.

xeon123 said:
In the denominator should be 1. But in the first equation it should be 8. This is the part that I don't get it. I'm putting in the denominator the current price.
That's because the answer you gave to the first problem is wrong. If the lollypop increased from 6$ to 8$ then it increased by $2 and that is 2/6= 1/3 of the original price. The price of the lollypop increased by 1/3 or 33 and 1/3 percent, NOT 25%.

1. What is a percentage?

A percentage is a way of expressing a proportion or ratio as a number out of 100. It represents a part of a whole, with 100 being the whole.

2. How do you calculate a percentage?

To calculate a percentage, you can use the formula: (part/whole) x 100. For example, if you want to find the percentage of 20 out of 50, you would do (20/50) x 100 = 40%.

3. What is the difference between percentage and percent?

Percentage and percent are often used interchangeably and mean the same thing. However, percentage is the noun form while percent is the adjective form. For example, you would say "What is the percentage of 50?" but "What percent is 50?"

4. How is percentage used in science?

In science, percentage is often used to represent concentrations, such as the percentage of a certain chemical in a solution. It is also used to show the success rate of experiments or the prevalence of a certain trait in a population.

5. What are some common misconceptions about percentages?

One common misconception is that a high percentage always means a large number. For example, 80% may seem high but if it represents 80 out of 1000, it is actually a small number. Another misconception is that percentages cannot be greater than 100%, but in certain cases, such as when dealing with proportions, percentages can exceed 100%.