The easiest way to standard model

In summary, it depends on your prerequisites. If you have taken quantum mechanics, then the easiest way to learn QFT is to sit down and remember that you already know it. If you haven't taken quantum mechanics, then you might want to try getting a book or taking a course.
welatiger
what is the the easiest way to learn standard model theory ?

Physics news on Phys.org
That probably depends on your prerequisite knowledge. Have you taken quantum mechanics yet? Quantum field theory?

No i take only an introduction to quantum mechanics

I do not see how it depends in the prerrequisites. Oh wait, of course, if he has learned QFT, then the easiest way to learn QFT is to sit down and remember that you already know it.

What about asking what curriculum should a career have if the main goal is only to best the Standard Model.

get a book, or take a course

turn off ipad, radio,tv, etc...

study

you're are absolutely right
i get "Symmetry and the Standard Model" by Matthew Robinson
so ? any comment

welatiger said:
you're are absolutely right
i get "Symmetry and the Standard Model" by Matthew Robinson
so ? any comment

Terrific book for newcomers! I predict that will be one of the most popular introduction books to QFT and the Standard Model in the years to come. Also, they often refer to Srednicki's book which is one of the standard texts in QFT nowadays. So you can continue your studies with Srednicki's book after you have finished Robinson. Srednicki is a bit weak in given conceptual insights, something were Robinson is excellent with. So both books complement each other perfectly.

Note, there are QFT books and particle physics books, both aim at explaining high energy physics. Particle physics books skip a lot of the nitty gritty theoritical details and will get you faster to the Standard Model.

"Symmetry and the Standard Model" by Matthew Robinson

At $86.60 at Amazon, it had better be good. one copy left.

arivero said:
I do not see how it depends in the prerrequisites. Oh wait, of course, if he has learned QFT, then the easiest way to learn QFT is to sit down and remember that you already know it.

What about asking what curriculum should a career have if the main goal is only to best the Standard Model.
Because that would be an entirely different question. If prerequisites aren't relevant, then what would you say to a third grader interested in learning string theory? You'd recommend they pick up Zwiebach?

It's hard to tell from your vague sarcasm whether you are implying that QFT and the SM are one in the same: they aren't. See Griffiths for a way to teach the symmetries and interactions of the SM without a mention of the word "field." And talk to anybody who does condensed matter theory if they know what a quantum field is, and then ask them if they know what the SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) Standard Model is. My guess is that the answers to these questions will not be the same.

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in particle physics that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It is currently the most successful and widely accepted theory for explaining the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. What are the fundamental particles in the Standard Model?

The fundamental particles in the Standard Model include six quarks, six leptons, and four force-carrying particles called bosons. The quarks and leptons are known as matter particles, while the bosons are responsible for mediating the fundamental forces of nature: electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force.

3. How does the Standard Model explain the behavior of particles?

The Standard Model explains the behavior of particles through a combination of mathematical equations and experimental data. It describes how particles interact with each other through the exchange of force-carrying particles, and how these interactions give rise to the properties and behaviors of particles.

4. What is the easiest way to understand the Standard Model?

The easiest way to understand the Standard Model is to think of it as a "particle zoo." Just as a zoo contains different types of animals, the Standard Model contains different types of particles. Just as animals can interact with each other in different ways, particles can also interact with each other in different ways according to the rules of the Standard Model.

5. Are there any limitations to the Standard Model?

While the Standard Model has been extremely successful in explaining the behavior of particles, it is not a complete theory. It does not account for gravity, dark matter, or dark energy, and there are still unanswered questions and discrepancies that require further research. Scientists are currently working on developing a more comprehensive theory that can explain these phenomena and potentially go beyond the Standard Model.