Why circuit breaker shuts off when lamp burns out?

In summary: The circuit breaker trips because when the bulb's filament melts, the resistance goes to infinity, which is too high for the circuit to handle.
Charles123
Isn't the case that when the lamp filament melts the resistance of that part of the circuit goes to infinite? So why does the circuit breaker turn off current?
Thank you
Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Charles123 said:
Isn't the case that when the lamp filament melts the resistance of that part of the circuit goes to infinite? So why does the circuit breaker turn off current?
Thank you
Regards

The answer to your first question is yes, when a lamp filament melts the lamp's resistance goes to infinity (open).

Now, to answer your second question will you please describe where is the circuit breaker? What equipment is this? We can't know why the CB trips until you tell us the details.

from http://www.megavolt.co.il/Tips_and_info/incandescent.html

Why does my breaker jump when my bulb burns out? Sometimes the bulb explodes too.When the filament in the bulb breaks, an arc sometimes forms, expanding across the entire broken filament. While drawing a few hundred amperes of current, the arc starts to get unstable and melts what is left of the filament, in a bright blue glow. This will usually cause the bulb to burst and the circuit breaker to trip. Most good quality bulbs have a small built-in fuse inside the base that will normally burn before your breaker has a chance to trip. Cheaper bulbs have poor quality control and no built-in fuse in the base.

see also this informative diagram

http://www.dumet.net/lamps.html

Last edited:
Thank you, Old Jim. Never imagined that arcing scenario drawing hundreds of amps and tripping the breaker!

Us old dogs CAN learn new tricks!

Bobbywhy

Thanks for the kind words Bobbywhy !

I have to think the hundreds of amps scenario is the exception.
I've only seen two lamps blow their tops off. But we all know that "flash-thud" when they go.

I didnt know about the internal fuse until found that link. A good reason to buy the $1.59 lamp instead of the $0.49 for locations where falling glass shards could be an annoyance..

but the point is, an arc conducts well. Only after it goes out do you see infinite resistance. That should be at next zero crossing of sinewave.

1. Why does my circuit breaker shut off when a lamp burns out?

When a lamp burns out, it creates a short circuit or a sudden drop in resistance. This causes a surge of electricity to flow through the circuit, triggering the circuit breaker to shut off as a safety measure to prevent damage or fire.

2. Can a circuit breaker trip even if the lamp is not completely burned out?

Yes, a circuit breaker can trip if the lamp is partially burned out. This can happen if there is a loose connection or a damaged wire in the lamp, causing a sudden change in resistance and triggering the circuit breaker.

3. How do I prevent the circuit breaker from tripping when a lamp burns out?

You can prevent the circuit breaker from tripping by using a surge protector or a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet. These devices provide additional protection against short circuits and power surges.

4. Is it dangerous if the circuit breaker trips when a lamp burns out?

No, it is not dangerous if the circuit breaker trips when a lamp burns out. In fact, it is a safety feature that prevents electrical fires and damage to your home's wiring and appliances.

5. Can I reset the circuit breaker immediately after it trips from a lamp burning out?

Yes, you can reset the circuit breaker immediately after it trips from a lamp burning out. However, it is important to check the lamp for any damage or loose connections before resetting the circuit breaker to prevent it from tripping again.