How to find mass of giant star?

• Thread starter tomjennings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Star
In summary, to find the mass of an AGN given a solar luminosity, it is not as simple as using the mass-luminosity relationship for main sequence stars. However, it is possible to roughly estimate the mass by integrating its luminosity over its angular size and assuming a distribution of main sequence stars. This approach may yield a linear relationship between luminosity and mass with a proportionality constant of 1 to 10. However, if the central engine is currently active, this method becomes more complex.
tomjennings
How would someone find the mass of an AGN when a solar luminosity is given? I know you can't simply use the mass-luminosity relationship since that only applies to main sequence stars, right?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you mean AGB star? And do you mean that its luminosity is given in units of the solar luminosity?

Steely Dan said:
Do you mean AGB star? And do you mean that its luminosity is given in units of the solar luminosity?

Sorry. I meant to say galaxy instead of star.

AGN = Active Galactic Nuclei

I am given a luminosity of 12 trillion solar luminosities, and I need to find its mass.

Last edited:
are those the *only* two things?

good luck,man!http://www.hergoods.info/avatar1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since luminosity is essentially a function of stellar mass, it should be possible to roughly approximate the mass of a galaxy if you know its distance and gross luminosity. This, however, is not a trivial matter. For starters, you would have to integrate its luminosity over its angular size. Nobody really spends much time trying to do this because there are easier ways to get a more accurate estimate.

One way to do it is if you know the distribution of stars in the galaxy, assuming they are all main sequence stars (this is basically its initial mass function). Then you could integrate the distribution so that it is normalized to that total luminosity. I recall that if this is done for galaxies like ours, you get a roughly linear relationship between luminosity and mass, and the proportionality constant is of order 1 to 10. But I have never done the calculation. Furthermore, if the central engine is actually currently active, then that seriously complicates matters.

1. How do you determine the mass of a giant star?

The mass of a giant star can be determined through several methods, including studying its orbital motion in a binary system, analyzing its luminosity and temperature, and observing its spectral lines.

2. What is the most accurate way to find the mass of a giant star?

The most accurate way to determine the mass of a giant star is through studying its orbital motion in a binary system. By measuring the period and distance between the two stars, the mass of the giant star can be calculated using Kepler's third law.

3. Can the mass of a giant star change over time?

Yes, the mass of a giant star can change over time through processes such as mass loss in stellar winds or mass transfer in binary systems. However, these changes are usually gradual and do not significantly alter the overall mass of the star.

4. Is it possible to accurately determine the mass of a giant star without observing its binary system?

While observing a binary system is the most accurate method, the mass of a giant star can also be estimated using theoretical models based on its luminosity and temperature, as well as its position on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram.

5. How does the mass of a giant star affect its lifespan?

The mass of a giant star plays a significant role in determining its lifespan. Generally, the more massive a star is, the shorter its lifespan will be due to increased nuclear fusion and energy consumption. However, other factors such as metallicity and stellar rotation can also impact a giant star's lifespan.