Strengthening, crystalline alloys, and yield strength questions?

In summary: Essentially, the yield strength decreases as aging time increases because of the interaction of dislocations with precipitates.
hermtm2
Hi, these are questions from my exam from the mechanical behavior of materials. I seriously screwed the exam up. Can you guys help me out?

a) Provide two reasons why C is more effective than Ni in strenghtening Fe.

b) Explain why single crystalline alloys with fine grains are more desirable for low temperature applications.

c) Show schematically how the yield strength of an aluminum alloy may vary with aging time and explain how dislocations interact with the precipitates in different parts of the aging curve.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is a single crystal with fine grains? Did I get this wrongly?

C makes precipitates with Fe while Ni is soluble.

An over-aged aluminium alloy (one the responds to heat treatment) softens again, for instance T73 is softer than T6. Do I remember that grains grow, cancelling the benefit of precipitation?

More generally, metallurgists have so many explanations ready that they can explain everything, and predict, err, everything as well, but afterwards.

I've the idea from the wiki source.

Thanks,
Ryan.

hermtm2 said:
a) Provide two reasons why C is more effective than Ni in strenghtening Fe.

All strengthening comes from Grain refinement, Phase manipulation, Solid solution strengthening, Work hardening, or Precipitate strengthening.

I think it is because C stays as an interstitial element and acts as a Solid Solution Strengthening agent, and also C can form carbides with other alloying elements and act as a Precipitation Strenghting agent.

If there is enough Ni, it can retain austenitic structure (fcc) rather than the normal ferrite structure (bcc) which is more ductive due to the close packed lattice planes (which allows elimination of dislocations due to different stacking fault energies).

hermtm2 said:
b) Explain why single crystalline alloys with fine grains are more desirable for low temperature applications.

fine grain alloys have higher strength, due to grain refinement, and higher toughness, etc. They have superior qualities in most field, really, EXCEPT creep. Creep is elongation at high temperatures and is made a lot worse by grain boundaries as these allow pathways for dislocation movement giving greater elongation.

hermtm2 said:
c) Show schematically how the yield strength of an aluminum alloy may vary with aging time and explain how dislocations interact with the precipitates in different parts of the aging curve.

Other people answered this.

1. What is strengthening in materials science?

Strengthening is a process of increasing the strength and durability of a material through various methods such as alloying, heat treatment, and cold working. It is important in engineering and construction industries to ensure the safety and reliability of structures and components.

2. How do crystalline alloys affect the strength of a material?

Crystalline alloys, also known as metal alloys, are created by mixing two or more metallic elements to form a solid solution. The resulting crystalline structure of the alloy can greatly impact the strength of the material, as well as other properties such as corrosion resistance and ductility.

3. What is the definition of yield strength?

Yield strength is the maximum stress that a material can withstand without permanently deforming or breaking. It is an important factor in determining the structural integrity and load-bearing capacity of a material, and is typically measured through tensile testing.

4. How can yield strength be increased in materials?

There are several ways to increase the yield strength of a material, including cold working, heat treatment, and alloying. Cold working involves deforming the material at low temperatures, while heat treatment involves subjecting the material to high temperatures to alter its microstructure. Alloying, as mentioned before, can also increase the strength of a material by introducing different elements into its composition.

5. Why is understanding yield strength important in material selection?

Understanding the yield strength of a material is crucial in material selection for engineering and construction projects. It helps determine the appropriate material to withstand the expected load and stress placed on it, ensuring the safety and longevity of the structure or component. It also helps engineers and scientists compare and select the most suitable material for a specific application based on its performance and properties.