Quantum Communication, ion traps of thermoluminescent materials

In summary, the article "Intercontinental quantum liaisons between entangled electrons in ion traps of thermoluminescent crystals" by Robert Desbrandes and Daniel Van Gent discusses a 2006 experiment that used ion traps in thermoluminescent crystals to "store" entangled particles. The researchers observed the effect of heating one crystal on another crystal located miles away, showing the potential for communication through quantum entanglement. However, despite the inspiring results, there have been no commercial solutions built on this idea. The reason for this may be that quantum entanglement does not allow for classical communication, and previous experiments have already demonstrated this concept. The authors are currently pursuing patent protection for their findings.
sdwdd
Recently I've came by this article:
"Intercontinental quantum liaisons between entangled electrons in ion traps of thermoluminescent crystals" by Robert Desbrandes and Daniel Van Gent
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0611109

Researchers used ion traps caused by imperfections of the crystals to "store" the entangled particles. Then they concluded an experiment in which one of the crystals was heated and the effect of this action was observed on the second crystal miles away. Their results show that such a communication really took place and was resistant to outside factors to a good extent.

That was really an inspiring reading for me.

But I was surprised that the paper was published in 2006 and during all these years no commercial solutions where built on this idea.

My question is why?
It looks trivial to build a protocol on top of the temperature changes to allow communication.

Can anyone uncover the downsides here?

Physics news on Phys.org
sdwdd said:
"Intercontinental quantum liaisons between entangled electrons in ion traps of thermoluminescent crystals" by Robert Desbrandes and Daniel Van Gent
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0611109

Researchers used ion traps caused by imperfections of the crystals to "store" the entangled particles. Then they concluded an experiment in which one of the crystals was heated and the effect of this action was observed on the second crystal miles away. Their results show that such a communication really took place and was resistant to outside factors to a good extent.

That was really an inspiring reading for me.

But I was surprised that the paper was published in 2006 and during all these years no commercial solutions where built on this idea.

My question is why?
It looks trivial to build a protocol on top of the temperature changes to allow communication.

Welcome to PhysicsForums, sdwdd!

Quantum entanglement, as demonstrated in the paper, does not allow for classical communication. It is easy to read it differently, but the effect is one which requires a traditional communication method to observe.

There have been a number of earlier tests of quantum communication using other more common techniques. So the paper you cited is not considered groundbreaking in that regard. For example:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9810080

Is this to say that a binary signal (on/off blip on the graph) could be sent from one entangled crystal located 5 miles underground, to the paired crystal sitting in a vault in downtown DC - in an instant?

sdwdd said:
"But I was surprised that the paper was published in 2006 and during all these years no commercial solutions where built on this idea.

My question is why?

I have had contact with one of the authors fairly recently.
No downside mentioned.
The authors are pursuing patent protection.

1. What is quantum communication?

Quantum communication is a method of transmitting information using quantum particles, such as photons, to encode and decode information. This allows for secure and efficient communication, as the particles cannot be intercepted without being altered.

2. What are ion traps?

Ion traps are devices used to trap and manipulate ions in a controlled environment. They use electric and magnetic fields to confine and manipulate the ions, making them useful for a variety of applications such as quantum computing and quantum communication.

3. How do ion traps work in quantum communication?

In quantum communication, ion traps are used to store and manipulate quantum particles, such as ions, in order to transmit information. The ions can be entangled, allowing for the transfer of information from one ion to another without physical contact.

4. What are thermoluminescent materials?

Thermoluminescent materials are materials that emit light when heated. They are commonly used in radiation dosimetry, as they can be used to measure the amount of radiation exposure an object has received.

5. How are thermoluminescent materials used in quantum communication?

In quantum communication, thermoluminescent materials can be used as detectors to measure the transfer of information between particles. When the particles are entangled, the thermoluminescent materials will emit light when the information is successfully transferred, allowing for the measurement of the communication process.