Why am I having trouble with the RC circuit analysis?

In summary: Vr is always in phase with Vin, but Vc is always 90 degrees out of phase with Vin. So Vtot is at an angle theta with Vin, where theta is the phase difference between Vc and Vr. In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of an RC circuit, specifically a low-pass filter. The setup includes a voltage source connected to a resistor and capacitor, with the output voltage measured across the capacitor. The speaker is confused between comparing the input and output voltages and comparing the current and voltage in the circuit, and asks for clarification on where they are going wrong. The conversation then delves into the complex number ratio Vout/Vin and its phase shift at high and low frequencies. The expert explains that
schaefera
Hello, I'm trying to analyze the RC circuit... specifically a low-pass filter, so the set up is voltage source to resistor to capacitor, and the voltage source provides an oscillating voltage Vin, whereas I measure Vout across the capacitor.

I think I'm getting confused between two different possible analyses: first, comparing Vin and Vout and second, comparing the current and the voltage in the circuit. Please tell me where I'm going wrong.

If I consider the ratio Vout/Vin, I have the complex number: 1/(1+iwRC) which has the phase phi1= -arctan(wRC). This would imply that at very high w, the output voltage is 90 degrees behind the input voltage. But since at very high w the capacitor drops very little voltage, this circuit is essentially just a resistor dropping all the voltage. So why wouldn't we expect the output and input voltages to be IN phase in this case? Similarly, at very low w the capacitor drops most of the voltage and despite the fact that the phase angle approaches 0 in this limit. Since a purely capacitive circuit has a 90 degree phase shift, shouldn't we expect this shift to be present in that case?

I think it would be easier if I could draw a phasor diagram, but I can only draw a phasor diagram to compare Vout (which would be the sum of capacitive voltage and resistive voltage, the two being at right angles to each other) to the current (which is parallel to the resistive voltage)... I wouldn't know where to place Vin on such a diagram would I?

Again, I think I'm getting confused between looking at Vout/Vin and Vout/Total current. Please tell me where my errors are! Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
schaefera said:
Hello, I'm trying to analyze the RC circuit... specifically a low-pass filter, so the set up is voltage source to resistor to capacitor, and the voltage source provides an oscillating voltage Vin, whereas I measure Vout across the capacitor.

I think I'm getting confused between two different possible analyses: first, comparing Vin and Vout and second, comparing the current and the voltage in the circuit. Please tell me where I'm going wrong.

If I consider the ratio Vout/Vin, I have the complex number: 1/(1+iwRC) which has the phase phi1= -arctan(wRC). This would imply that at very high w, the output voltage is 90 degrees behind the input voltage. But since at very high w the capacitor drops very little voltage, this circuit is essentially just a resistor dropping all the voltage. So why wouldn't we expect the output and input voltages to be IN phase in this case?

The current is (almost) in phase with Vin in this limit (ϕI = arctan(1/ωRC)). However, the voltage on the capacitor depends on how much charge it has. q = CV therefore dq/dt = i = Cdv/dt, where v is the capacitor voltage here. So what's happening is that, when Vin, and therefore the current, are at a maximum, the rate at which charge is accumulating on the plates is a maximum. So the capacitor voltage is only just ramping up to its maximum value. Hence the 90 degree phase lag. Once the capacitor voltage reaches a maximum value, dv/dt = 0, and hence i = 0, which is consistent with what is happening with the voltage source, which has already decreased in voltage down to 0, and is now going negative. Once it goes negative, the capacitor voltage is now greater than the source voltage, and the current reverses direction. The current i becomes large and negative, which means that the capacitor is discharging and its voltage is ramping down to its minimum (trailing the current in phase by 90 deg). Repeat this cycle over and over again.

schaefera said:
Similarly, at very low w the capacitor drops most of the voltage and despite the fact that the phase angle approaches 0 in this limit. Since a purely capacitive circuit has a 90 degree phase shift, shouldn't we expect this shift to be present in that case?

No, because here you have i = dv/dt = 0, and therefore Vout = Vin.

schaefera said:
I think it would be easier if I could draw a phasor diagram, but I can only draw a phasor diagram to compare Vout (which would be the sum of capacitive voltage and resistive voltage, the two being at right angles to each other) to the current (which is parallel to the resistive voltage)... I wouldn't know where to place Vin on such a diagram would I?

Again, I think I'm getting confused between looking at Vout/Vin and Vout/Total current. Please tell me where my errors are! Thank you!

I see no reason why you can't draw all three phasors on the same diagram.

Let's say I draw Vr, the voltage across the resistor, and some angle up from the horizontal axis. Vc, the capacitor's voltage, is 90 degrees behind that. Their sum, which depends on relative lengths, falls somewhere between those two and that would be Vout correct? Where do I draw Vin?

Is your problem with where you are putting your voltmeter so that you are apparently getting a phase shift in one case and not in the other?
Relate everything to Earth, to make it easier. If you draw the circuit with the C, connected between Earth and the Resistor and you then connect the source PD to the resistor. The voltage you measure (to Earth) across the capacitor will always be in quadrature with the volts of the supply - just getting less and less as the frequency increases. The phasor diagram can be drawn with Vr along the x axis, Vc along the y-axis and Vin will be the diagonal joining those two vectors. Note, I have not used "Vout" because that would either be Vc or Vr, depending on your choice of which one is the 'output'

Aha! So let me see if I got this right: what I've been calling Vout is really Vc, and Vin is the total of all voltages, what I've called Vtot. So, that's why I've been having the issue with phase shifts-- if phi is the angle by which current and voltage are out of phase, that's the same as the angle between Vin and Vr (because Vr is in phase with current). But the difference between Vin and Vc (or Vout, as I've used before) is actually 90 degrees MINUS phi, since we're measuring from Vc, and not from Vr, to Vtot?

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is used to control the flow of electric current and can be found in many electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. What is the purpose of an RC circuit?

The purpose of an RC circuit is to control the timing or frequency of an electric signal. It can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies, create delays, or provide smooth voltage transitions.

3. What is the equation for calculating the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) of an RC circuit can be calculated using the equation τ = R x C, where R is the resistance in ohms and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. How does the value of resistance affect an RC circuit?

The value of resistance affects an RC circuit by determining the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges. A higher resistance will result in a longer time constant and slower charging and discharging of the capacitor. A lower resistance will result in a shorter time constant and faster charging and discharging of the capacitor.

5. What happens when the capacitor in an RC circuit is fully charged?

When the capacitor in an RC circuit is fully charged, it blocks the flow of current through the circuit. This results in a steady state where the voltage across the capacitor remains constant and no more current flows through the circuit.