Mathematics Required for Physics

In summary, a high school student in grade 11 is looking to learn all undergrad physics topics and has been using MIT opencourseware for math. They have completed courses in single and multi variable calculus and are seeking recommendations for books to help with their understanding of physics. Linear algebra and differential equations are the only math topics required for general physics, but additional topics may be needed for specific areas such as quantum theory and general relativity. Mary L Boas and Riley's Mathematical Physics textbooks are highly recommended for undergrads.
narayan.rocks
Iam a High school Student starting grade 11 this year . I want to learn all undergrad physics chapters like Classical Mechanics , Optics , Statistical Mechanics , Thermodynamics , Electromagnetism , Quantum Mechanics , Solid State physics , Nuclear Physics , Plasma Physics , Relativity etc .
I have been learning math from MIT opencourseware I watch the video lecture / read lecture notes . Then i solve their problem sets and then their exams . I have completed the following courses
18.01 Single variable Calculus
18.02 Multi Variable Calculus

My question is how much math should i know so as to learn and understand all the concepts in undergrad physics . Also Suggest good books . Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah thanks , but which one do i choose . Does these books cover all the math required for a physics undergrad

In addition to calculus, I would say that only Linear Algebra and Differential Equations are really required for general physics. Work specifically in quantum theory woul require group theory (though probably not the full "abstract algebra") and general relativity uses differential geometry and tensor analyisis.

Thanks , so i think i can go with Mary L boas / Riley's Mathematical physics textbooks as they cover almost all of these

narayan.rocks said:
Thanks , so i think i can go with Mary L boas / Riley's Mathematical physics textbooks as they cover almost all of these
Surely Mary L Boas is highly Recommended text for Undergrad and want to do more then go to specific/Pure Maths books after that for Linear Algebra/Calculus/DE etc.

1. What are the fundamental mathematical concepts needed for physics?

The most important mathematical concepts for physics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. These concepts are used to describe and analyze physical phenomena, make predictions, and develop theories.

2. Do I need to be an expert in math to study physics?

While a strong foundation in math is necessary for understanding and applying physics concepts, you do not need to be an expert in math to study physics. Many introductory physics courses focus on teaching the necessary mathematical concepts along with the physics principles.

3. Can I study physics without being good at math?

Physics is a highly mathematical field, and it is difficult to understand and apply the principles without a good understanding of math. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can improve their math skills and succeed in studying physics.

4. How does math help in solving physics problems?

Math is a powerful tool that allows us to represent and analyze complex physical phenomena. By using mathematical equations and formulas, we can model and predict the behavior of physical systems. Math also helps us to think critically and logically, which is essential in solving physics problems.

5. What are some real-world applications of using math in physics?

Math is used extensively in various fields of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. Without math, we would not have been able to make important discoveries and advancements in areas such as engineering, astrophysics, and materials science.