Telescopes 101: Intro Guide For Beginners Under $500

In summary: BobbyI chose the orion because it is a good bang for the buck, and it is one of the most popular beginner telescopes. Additionally, the wide field of view is very helpful for beginning astronomers.
NATURE.M
Hi, I am interested in purchasing a telescope, although I am not very familiar with the parts and overall structure. introductory feedback, and recommendations would be much appreciated, and also I don't want a budget of $500 (preferably price range $350-$450).

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Here is a list of many articles about selecting/buying your first telescope:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/equipment/basics

thanks for the links, and in your personal opinion do you believe vixons are good for beginners.
Specifically,Vixen A80Mf Telescope & Porta II Mount

Vixen are among a number of well regarded brands. I think an 80mm APO refractor is an excellent choice for a beginner scope. I personally like the orion short tube 80 [ST80], which only runs around $120. A suitable mount will double the price, but, still be within your budget. If you decide to move up to a bigger scope, it will remain useful as a finder scope [which explains why I prefer short focal length APO's for intro astronomy]. Plus, the wide field views are simply amazing.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I feel like I've really narrowed my selection down to
a.Vixen Optics R130Sf w/ Porta II Mount
b.ORION SpaceProbe 130ST Equatorial Reflector Telescope
I've heard that equatorial mount is a bit more challenging for beginners, and that Vixen is relatively easier. Any recommendations?

For a starter scope, a simple altazimuth mount will be easier to master - and less expensive. It's the best way to enter the hobby world of astronomy. Get some sky charts and star hop your way across the sky. Once you get the hang of that you will be hankering for a bigger scope, and a goto mount. Star hopping is really tedious and boring once you get the hang of it.

I always disagree with the alt-az recommendation. For following a planet, an EQ is a big help.

russ_watters said:
I always disagree with the alt-az recommendation. For following a planet, an EQ is a big help.

Of the options I listed what can you recommend/or any feedback??

russ_watters said:

Thats true in most cases
but for a beginner an equatorial mount is a nightmare to use ;)

Dave

Hi davenn can you please provide feedback on the two telescopes I mentioned.

davenn said:
Thats true in most cases
but for a beginner an equatorial mount is a nightmare to use ;)

Dave
My dad bought me my first scope (an alt-az) for Christmas when I was a kid and after using it once, we both agreed it was a mistake and he got me a free upgrade.

NATURE.M said:
Of the options I listed what can you recommend/or any feedback??
Vixen scopes have an excellent reputation for high-end quality, but it probably makes their beginner scopes more money than they are worth. That scope costs a lot of money for what you are getting. Orions are the Chevy of telescopes and for a beginner, it is a good bang for the buck, so that is what I recommend. Plus, you'll want to save some money for accessories.

russ_watters said:
My dad bought me my first scope (an alt-az) for Christmas when I was a kid ...
What age? I think I'll do the same.

mheslep said:
What age? I think I'll do the same.
Not sure. 14 or 15, maybe.

I also cast my preference for the Orion.

Bobbywhy

1. What is a telescope and how does it work?

A telescope is an instrument used to magnify distant objects in the night sky. It works by gathering light from a distant object and focusing it onto an eyepiece, which then magnifies the image for us to see. This is possible due to the use of lenses or mirrors that help to gather and focus the light.

2. What are the different types of telescopes?

There are three main types of telescopes: refracting telescopes, reflecting telescopes, and catadioptric telescopes. Refracting telescopes use lenses to gather and focus light, reflecting telescopes use mirrors, and catadioptric telescopes use both lenses and mirrors.

3. What should I consider when purchasing a telescope under $500?

When looking to buy a telescope under $500, it is important to consider the aperture size, which determines the amount of light the telescope can gather, and the focal length, which determines the magnification power. You should also consider the type of mount, as well as the overall size and weight of the telescope for portability.

4. Can I see planets and galaxies with a telescope under $500?

Yes, you can see planets and galaxies with a telescope under $500. However, the quality and clarity of the images may not be as high as those produced by more expensive telescopes. With a telescope under $500, you can still observe the moon, planets, stars, and some galaxies, but they may appear smaller and less detailed.

5. How do I set up and use a telescope under $500?

Setting up and using a telescope under $500 can vary depending on the type and model of the telescope. However, the general steps include assembling the telescope, aligning the finder scope, and using the eyepiece to focus on an object in the night sky. It is important to carefully read the instruction manual and practice using the telescope to become familiar with its features.