Best tables for data of objects in our solar system?

In summary: You can browse by object, get information on each object, or download data in various formats. You can also search by name or coordinates.
Elecomputer
I'm writing a program that models objects in our solar system in 3D with lots of functionality. (Senor Project in Computer Engineering), since a lot of time an effort has gone into this software so far, I'd like to implement the most accurate details to configure several objects.

By objects, I mean planets, satellites, and dwarf planets. Comets would by interesting too.

On wikipedia, I found it hard to copy the data each page by page, not to mention some things are not filled out, (inclination is set to ecliptic / sun's equator).

On nasa, i haven't found any good tables, yet (confusing to navigate).

Since this is the astronomy forums, perhaps anyone has an idea of a good source?

Again, I am not an astronomer, but I love space and guided my project to this (I do know some astronomy to calculate the planetary motion).

Thanks in advance! When I finish my program, perhaps I can share it with all. It won't be as near as good as Universe Sandbox or anything, but it is in a different way, a simulation.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hey Elecomputer!

I'm not sure if it's a good solution, but seeing how your thread slowly sinks to the second page tells me that I should post it anyway.

You may try using the database from Stellarium! It has a lot of solar system objects, including planets (of course), their satellites, and some large asteroids. They have a short http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Star_Catalogue_Format describing their data format. Give it a shot.

Cheers!

The Astronomical Almanac not only has tables containing all the data you want, but also formulas for determining the position of objects in the solar system.

Many of the tables can be found online at the US Naval Observatory.

The book (which is put out by the USNO and Her Majesty's Nautical Almanac Office) is better, but you might have a hard time getting this year's book. It's already time to order next year's book. (The cost is around $40. You need a new book each year if you're truly serious about your data, but you can get by with a new book every once in a while supplemented by the tables online.)

I would recommend using the JPL Solar System Dynamics website (https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?planet_pos) as a source for accurate data on objects in our solar system. This site is maintained by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and provides data on planets, satellites, and dwarf planets. It also includes information on comets and asteroids.

Additionally, the NASA Planetary Fact Sheets (https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/) can also be a useful resource for detailed information on each object in our solar system. This site includes data on size, mass, orbit, and other important characteristics of each object.

It is important to use reliable and accurate sources when gathering data for scientific projects. I would also recommend consulting with astronomers or planetary scientists for any specific questions or clarifications you may have. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of creating tables for data of objects in our solar system?

The purpose of creating tables for data of objects in our solar system is to organize and present information in a clear and concise manner. Tables allow us to easily compare different objects in our solar system and identify patterns or trends.

2. How are the tables for data of objects in our solar system created?

The tables for data of objects in our solar system are created using data collected from observations, space missions, and other scientific research. This data is then organized and formatted into a table using software programs or coding languages.

3. What type of information is typically included in these tables?

The tables for data of objects in our solar system usually include information such as the name of the object, its size, distance from the Sun, orbital period, composition, and any other relevant characteristics or data points that are being studied.

4. Why is it important to have accurate and up-to-date tables for data of objects in our solar system?

Accurate and up-to-date tables for data of objects in our solar system are important because they provide a valuable reference for scientists to analyze and study our solar system. It also allows for the comparison of data over time, which can help us understand the changes and dynamics of our solar system.

5. How can the information from tables for data of objects in our solar system be used?

The information from tables for data of objects in our solar system can be used for a variety of purposes. Scientists can use this information to make predictions, study the evolution of our solar system, and gain a better understanding of the objects within it. This data can also be used to inform space missions and guide future research efforts.